Green Haired Duck?????? Pic Added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CoopCrazy, May 5, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    So I took my kids to the cincinnati zoo this past weekend and they had these really cool ducks. They were light colored with green feathers that looked like hair going down the back of there heads and the green came down the front to pile on the bill.. I have a pic but can't get it off my camera til i find a usb cable ... So any guesses ?? I am assuming this is a very special breed as they had them in there own enclosure in the bird house... I think they called them Harlequins , But they dont look like the ones I have found online...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    it's probably some wild duck type. There are a bunch of interesting ducks that live in the wild all over the world. I'd def like to see the pic!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I posted a pic.. I would love to find these guys .. I think i can talk my sister into letting me get those they are too cool...

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    it's probably some weird duck from africa, it may not be a duck at all... Maybe some sort of fowl or penguin, who knows....

They are defintely wild animals, not animals you can keep as a pet.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The bill shape and face remind me of a puffin.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is a Spectacled Eider.

It is a diving duck native to Alaska. It is severely endangered as its population decreased 96% in one year.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My goodness MP why are you up at this hour? Or are you just getting up? sheesh I am so messed up I have no clue if I am coming or going right now.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just getting up. Listening to the birds and sipping coffee.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Good morning Miss Prissy, You beat me with the post, but isn't this a wonderful time of morning to appreciate being alive. To early for any demands, so one can just sit, sip and enjoy.

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Thanks MP .. Its soo sad to think they are going extinct , I figured they had to be very special as they had there only enclosure in the Bird HOuse ... THey are just soo beautiful...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by