green horn

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by snoozee-q, Jan 12, 2014.

1. snoozee-q

snoozee-q Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Spout Spring, VA
    I have a dog kennel that is going to be converted for my chickens. I am new to this and excited that having chickens is about to be my dream come true. Any information is greatly appreciated

1 person likes this.
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

My advice would be to spend some time in the coops section, and get yourself set up for protection from predators and the elements in your area before you start. There are many people here who neglected these vital issues, and have sorely regretted it.

3. snoozee-q

Jan 12, 2014
    Spout Spring, VA
    Thank you. I have been talking with my niece who lives in Michigan as well, and have spent several months researching. I dont want to regret overlooking something.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome!

Just curious, does your dog pen have a enclosed roof? If not, may want to get some chicken wire for it. I use a dog pen for when I move my chicks from inside, to get them use to the outside. Hawks and vultures are popular around me.

Have you decided on what breed you are wanting? Couple questions I always ask to help get friends started...

1. What are your plans for the chickens (showing, pets, food...)
    2. How much room do you have for them (whether to get bantams or LF-large fowl)
    3. What type of coop do you have (some chickens do not do well in foul weather and some are more hardy)
    4. What type of area do you live in? (lots of neighbors or lots of acres)
    5. How many eggs are you wanting per year (just a few to incubate or a bunch to sell to neighbors)

Also, check out the learning center, great info!

Good Luck and glad you joined us!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright and [​IMG] glad to have you onboard [​IMG]

Getting setup before you have your chickens,,, good show [​IMG]

You are way ahead of the curve [​IMG]

9. snoozee-q

Jan 12, 2014
    Spout Spring, VA
    thank you for your encouragement. I plan on just having eggs for now. Later I would like to have some for eating as well. As far as the enclosure, the pen does not have a roof on it but will. My thoughts are chicken wire and some ply wood with shingles on it. The area they will be enclosed in is a 10x6 with access to free range. We live on 3 acres with lots of wooded area around. I have plans for 6 hens at first and see how they go. I have access to sex-link and Rhode island reds. My daughter has these and they are doing well. Also I am planning for some wood enclosures so I can hang their nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by