green house/shed into coop ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaChic21, Feb 4, 2011.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I just found this green house / shed 12x16 for $800 plus delivery. 3 sides are all glass except for 1 side (wood).
    What do you all think to house 3 ducks and 21 chickens ? (bantams,silkies, rhode islands, breeds I don't know yet but they're big)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote too hot in summer [​IMG] (but would be great as maybe a three season coop?)!

3. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Does any of the glass sides open to let in fresh air??

4. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    That's really cool!

Is there some way you could remove some of the glass panels to create ventilation and perhaps white/ wash some of the glass so they don't allow a build up of heat?

I bet there are ways you can make it work. Do you have a close-up picture?

5. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I don't know if any of the glass opens like a window but if we get it, we will make a lot of windows that opens and possibly high vents on the one side that is all wood.

[​IMG]
    click for bigger image

6. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I found 1 more pic

[​IMG]

7. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Nice idea for a coop. I am glad you looked for some used building options like I did. We have just completed ourslast nite, and this morning put in our new RR"s. YES!

8. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    I'd pop a bunch of that glass out and replace it with wire mesh, then make panels of something (metal siding? Plywood?) to cover the open bits during winter. Most greenhouses have windows that open to vent it, but I'm not seeing any here. Is this someone's homebuilt project, or is a kit?

9. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I love it and bet you could make it work with some modifications. It even has a gutter:lol:

Yep, just looked at your other pic and with wood panels around the bottom, ventilation around the top, it would be very nice. You could even add some outdoor blinds from the overhang
    if you need additional shade.

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Would the sun be to intense through the glass during summer time? Other than that I think it cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by