green legged laghorn is a white ameracauna

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erinm, Jun 12, 2007.

1. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    So I posted a couple of weeks ago about one of my leghorns greenish legs and I noticed today she also has ear tufts and a different comg than the other leghorn. I tentatively identified her as a white ameracauna. does that sound right to any of you? I looked up some images and she is a spitting image. thanks erin m[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think you got it now, LOL! They can be very pretty, too.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you sure she has tufts...or could they be muffs? People often confuse the two. Here is a pic of a white ameraucana with muffs (towards the back of the pic).

[​IMG]

And a pic of a white araucana with tufts..
    [​IMG]

Jody

4. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    oh yup muffs sorry. I did not know the difference being new to the chicken world. Thanks. So the ameacauna has muffs? auracana has tufts? is that how it goes? Now I am really confused! Erin M

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

erin,
    I am going through this as well. A few weeks ago, i rescued a baby chick from the feed store. She was limp, and lifeless. The boy working there had her by one leg, and was ready to toss her in the trash. I asked if I could have it...and try to save it. Well...she came from a crate labeled... red sex links. She is a beautifull white Aracuana. She has the muffs, and green legs. What a great surprise. She is totally white except one gold feather in one wing. Her new name.... Gold Finger. [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Let me try to clarify, as I can certainly understand your confusion.

A standard white araucana should have tufts and yellow legs.

A standard white ameraucana should have muffs and slate legs (blue).

A white easter egger would likely have muffs and green legs.

Jody

1 person likes this.
  7. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    So my white ameracauna is a easter egger? Ahhh she is cute anyway no matter what she is. I also have one I amtrying to identify. Supposed to be ameracauna but has no muffs tuffs or beards. Has green legs and is mostly a golden brown color with darker lacing on some of her feathers. if i knew how to post a photo I would but I am techologically inept really. We call her goldie. She hops on me sometimes . She has the same comb as my other ameracaunas. Thanks for all the help! Erin M.

8. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Justasnak, Hahahahah I like that, by the way. i giggle evrytime I see your screen name. What are you referencing as a snack?

i hope your little rescue does ok. i wish i could keep getting more and rescue some but due to the extortion practices of the local ZBA i cannot get anymore and would have to shell out another 300 bucks to go for a meeting to ask for an increase in the amount of chickens I can have. HaHa, extortion I say! erinM.

9. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    [​IMG]
    ok so is this one muff or tuft?

10. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That one is muffed. Muffs always include a beard...tufts don't. Tufts grow out of the ear on a lobelike pendacle (also known as earrings).

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by