Green legs and beak on buff silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kanchii, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

We noticed a while ago that two of the buff silkies we hatched out, from show lines non the less, have green toes and beaks. Their skin turns black wherever there is fluff, it's just their toes and beak that are green. Is that normal, or not?

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    no one knows?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I noticed some buffs have a greenish appearance too. They tend to outgrow it as they mature and turn slate blue or almost black in time. I think the green comes from working to produce the blue shanks that are required for buff. I think it is pretty common, since most folks are still working on their lines of buff, which is a challenging color.

Jody

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's good to know, thank's Jody! We'll keep this little guy until he's full grown, he has a lovely vaulted skull and great toe separation and feathering, I think he'll turn out nicely.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking it was from yellow skin genetics. Seemed possible because a lot of buff birds are yellow skinned it seems. Well, not Buff Orps.... nevermind...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by