Green light means GO, right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyshanty, Dec 10, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I was in Home Depot today with my 7 year old, and she begged me to buy a green-tinted CFL light for our post lamp for the holidays. I bought it, got home & realized we have gold-tinted milky glass in the post lamp, so the green wouldn't show. My next idea was that I'd bought a 13 watt compact florescent, equivalent to 60 watt incandescent, just like the one in the coop, so why not switch them out?

So I switched the white bulb for the green one. It's dimmer in there, but the chickens don't seem to care. It shows through the window facing the house & the 3 windows facing the road. It's our only holiday decoration so far, since winter hit early we didn't get lights up.
    The chooks were able to get food & water & pretty much behaved as they always doo in the evening. Most of them are still awake & eating.

Will the unnatural green affect their egg laying? I'm getting 12-15 eggs a day from 18 laying pullets. Should I experiment?

The green light makes the sky outside look pinkinsh, and it cancels out all the pink or red of combs, wattles, & vents, so it may be protective as well. Any opinions?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My opinion is it won't make any difference at all. But I really don't have any experience.

Imp

3. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I've had a red light in my Coop and never had issues.....

I imagine green would be the same result....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by