Green liquid diarrhea, can't stand, very lethargic

Chickenlady3825

Hatching
Jan 2, 2022
My splash orpington who is about 2yrs started with green liquid diarrhea today. She won't stand or eat for me. She's very lethargic. I cleaned her all off. Her cloaca is very swollen. I'm not sure what to do with her. Any help would be appreciated.

My splash orpington who is about 2yrs started with green liquid diarrhea today. She won't stand or eat for me. She's very lethargic. I cleaned her all off. Her cloaca is very swollen. I'm not sure what to do with her. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi,
Have you figured out? I have the same problem. Green watery poop and she doesn't eat or drink anything.

Hi,
Have you figured out? I have the same problem. Green watery poop and she doesn't eat or drink anything.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?
How old is your hen and when is the last time she laid an egg?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites.
Green water poop can often be seen when a hen is not eating well.
Try offering her some electrolytes and wet feed.
Hopefully with more info and photos we can offer a few other suggestions.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?
How old is your hen and when is the last time she laid an egg?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites.
Green water poop can often be seen when a hen is not eating well.
Try offering her some electrolytes and wet feed.
Hopefully with more info and photos we can offer a few other suggestions.
She is 7 months old. I have 3 other chickens so I am not sure when the last time she laid an egg. I isolated her from the other for about 5 days. She does not eat or drink, I feed her with a needless syringe. I made some search on internet and I am using CORID since yesterday but it didn't work, I think. Can lice/mite be seen with eyes? I didn't see anything just green and watery.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220302_200750.jpg
    20220302_200750.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220302_201019.jpg
    20220302_201019.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220302_200849.jpg
    20220302_200849.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220302_201051.jpg
    20220302_201051.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
She does not eat or drink, I feed her with a needless syringe. I made some search on internet and I am using CORID since yesterday but it didn't work, I think. Can lice/mite be seen with eyes?
Is she having difficulty breathing and is her crop emptying overnight?

I would make sure her crop is emptying. Feel for an egg, but likely if she's pooping then she's not bound, but her stance shows she's in distress.
Where are you located in the world?
Corid is for treatment of Coccidiosis, it won't hurt her, but if possible, taking a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms may be an issue would be a good idea as well.
Work on hydration and I would get some calcium into her too.

Yes, you should be able to see lice and mites with the naked eye. Look around her vent, face, under the wings, etc. for any bugs.

That stance makes me think something abdominal is going on. Have a feel of her abdomen - if you're not sure what's normal, compare her to a same breed or same build hen from your flock that's healthy. Also be mindful of any localized 'hot spots' which may indicate fever. Chickens run hotter than us though so, once again, compare to a healthy bird. If you suspect a fever, I'd recommend getting her to an avian-friendly vet or at least get her on some antibiotics, as that's a strong indicator of an active infection.

Green poop is usually associated with starvation, but loose and watery stool can also be from overheating or eggbinding.

If you haven't already, move her into isolation. Somewhere quiet and dark for privacy and out of temperature extremes. First port of call for a stuck egg is calcium, preferably liquid calcium with vitamin d (parrot section of local pet shop) - direct dose with a syringe. This will work into her system quickly thanks to the addition of vit. D and, since calcium helps with muscle contractions, should aid in passing an egg.

A warm epsom salt soak with her vent below water may help as well, but be mindful the water temp since she's already panting and maybe give it a pass if you think it will give her undue stress. You will need to blowdry her on low setting afterwards and it takes 'ages' to properly dry a chicken. The epsom and warm water helps to relieve pain and reduce swelling though, so can be very therapeutic.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing more on what you find regarding her condition.

Is she having difficulty breathing and is her crop emptying overnight?

I would make sure her crop is emptying. Feel for an egg, but likely if she's pooping then she's not bound, but her stance shows she's in distress.
Where are you located in the world?
Corid is for treatment of Coccidiosis, it won't hurt her, but if possible, taking a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms may be an issue would be a good idea as well.
Work on hydration and I would get some calcium into her too.

Yes, you should be able to see lice and mites with the naked eye. Look around her vent, face, under the wings, etc. for any bugs.
I live in Memphis TN. How am I going to understand if crop is emptying? It feels soft and squishy. Her mouth is open and has a difficulty to breathe.

Attachments

• 20220302_201019.jpg
    20220302_201019.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220302_200750.jpg
    20220302_200750.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220302_200849.jpg
    20220302_200849.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220302_201051.jpg
    20220302_201051.jpg