Green Peafowl Information!!

FarmGirl9494

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
I was looking into buying a few green peafowl. Can anyone give me some basic information about them?
Are they capable of being tame?
Has any body hand raised them?
I have had many Indian blue peafowl and I have hand raised all of them into nice and friendly adults. Because I hand raise my chicks and I want to make sure that the greens will be friendly. I do not want untame and easily scared birds that want nothing to do with their owners or any human.
Any extra or helpful tips and information will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Hello FarmGirl,
I have blue and green peafolws and based on my experiences the greens are getting all more trustingly than blues.
Hand raised peafowls are always more critical because they get a human imprinting when they are chicks and this can cause that they will see you as a rival during the mating season. But if you will buy young once nobody can give you any guarantee what happens when they are adult.
Up to now I never had any aggressive green peafowl but I heard also other experiences.
Regards
Reinhold

Hello farmgirl and
welcome-byc.gif
!

There is quite a bit of information here already about green peas, and if you do a search, you'll probably find answers to many of your questions.
You'll find that "green peas" is used to refer to peas that are varying degrees of green, so some research will help you figure out what you want and how to get it.

I don't own green peafowl but I know some things about them...

There are 3 main subspecies of green peafowl:

• Javanese green peafowl

• Indo-Chinese green peafowl

• Burmese green peafowl

There are also other subspecies within these three or at least varients based on by the region they are from. You should make sure that you buy some that are of the same subspecies so that you do not mix the different subspecies. It is important to keep these birds pure because they are an endangered species.

Some people have hand raised them but it is said that the hand raised males can get agressive durring the breeding season and attack you.

Also if it gets cold durring the winter where you live, the green peafowl need an indoor insulated or heated area to stay in for the winter. They are more of a tropical species so if the weather is too cold they can lose toes to frost bite or even lose their whole foot. I have seen photos of a green peacock at a zoo that was missing all of his toes. He had just little stubs where his toes were supposed to be so it is very important that they stay warm durring the winter.

You really, really need to be careful about who you buy them from. A lot of people buy birds that the seller says are green peafowl but they turn out to be spaldings (a hybrid bird between the India blue and green peafowl that can sometimes look very similar to a green peafowl). The best you can do is look at lots of photos of pure green peafowl, particularly the subspecies you want, and also read some descriptions of them and then use what you have learned to judge for yourself if a bird is pure or not. The pure ones are expensive. I could get 2 or probably more adult India blue peafowl for the price of just one adult green peafowl. So it is probably also good to see what the parents of the birds look like and to ask the breeder a few questions about them.

That is all I can think about right now...They are really magnificent. A real gem of the bird world.
smile.png

Okay, Thank you so much for that information.

and pfauenfreund, Dany12 and MinxFox, I know males get aggressive during breeding season and the human imprint on them can make them attack owners. the only bird I have had this problem with is turkeys, and only two out of the many I have raised. I know the risk, and I am willing to take that. I prefer being able to get close to my birds and be able to call them in at night and them come rather than not. I found that when I hand raised or was with them and handling them partial time that peafowl will stay on property and also amazingly alert when someone or something other than I is with in site and or on the property. I have had an aggressive male that I hand raised and one that I bought as an adult. the hand raised one never touched me, and I was the only one allowed near the nest, anyone or anything else was not. and the adult one I bought was unfriendly and very aggressive. for reasons unknown, but he was not scared of humans, and it was not even breeding season when the aggression towards all humans began. I know that some are aggressive and that hand raising can make them be aggressive to owners but thank you. That's what I was wondering. and if they just tend to be more aggressive than blues.

It is nice to know that the greens are more trustingly than your blues pfauenfreund, and yes, I have seen and heard some bad peafowl experiences too. my only bad one was with the adult blue I bought, don't know what was with that. But yes, it completely depends on the peacock, it can go either way.

And thank you MinxFox, I read about the need for heat but wow that frost bite information was very helpful and it does get very cold here in winter. heat will be sufficiently provided for sure and they will be indoors during freezing winter and spring months!! And yes, I will be making sure my greens are pure and of the same (sub)species and I know, the greens are a lot more expensive but I think they are worth it. I believe they are still categorized as endangered so I wouldn't expect anything less.

.....................................snip..............................................

Some people have hand raised them but it is said that the hand raised males can get agressive durring the breeding season and attack you.

.....................................snip..............................................

Interesting, maybe that's why mine looks like he's wants to get me.

He might someday when you turn your back to him.... I have had some waiting at the gate for me to come in so they could jump me.. I have seen a number of them like that over the years. George

Mine already attacks the dog through the fence and he looks at me the same way he looks at her, so I know it's just a matter of time before he tries. But fear not, I have eyes in the back of my head!

He might someday when you turn your back to him.... I have had some waiting at the gate for me to come in so they could jump me.. I have seen a number of them like that over the years. George
It is quotes like this that I do not let my parents see because I want green peafowl.
roll.png

connerhills I don't know if it was you but someone posted a photo of a green peacock attacking the fence a while back and I just had to save it into my pictures just to remind me how wild some birds can be.
Here is the photo that someone took:

Although some green peafowl seem to have a mean streak I would be willing to still keep green peafowl. I think I read somewhere that you even have to be careful about walking near one on a perch because they might decide to fly down onto you.

Back
Top Bottom