1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green Peas............how many?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Graceful Acres, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Graceful Acres

Graceful Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Georgia
    AND........how often? I gave my two Pekin ducks some today and just wanted to
    check. They absolutely LOVED them. I would throw the peas in their round bowl
    of water and it was about the cutest thing watching them fish the peas out.

ALSO................do I need to put some grit out? Will they just take what they need
    and when they need it? Need some advice in these areas. Thanks!

Oh............they are really enjoying their duck house and so am I. It really is a dream
    to keep clean. I put them out in a little fenced area today so they could eat some
    grass and lazy around. I also put my bunny, Mr. Peeps, out with them. They didn't
    bother each other and it was so sweet.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine are adults so you may not want to give them as much or as often, but for my 10 ducks and 18 chickens [because they all love it,] I put out about 3 cups of peas every other day. today they got peas and chopped up duck eggs peel and all mixed together with warm water, yum!!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bet they enjoyed bunnies company.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I sprinkled chick grit, maybe a teaspoon, on their food bowl in the morning starting their first week. I waited till the end of the week to feed them peas.

They will gorge themselves, so just a few peas each at first. Maybe a tablespoon? I cannot recall how big your duckies are.

I would not give them free choice grit while they are young. Rarely, but it has happened, ducklings will fill up on grit. Mine would eat shavings when they were little. sigh.

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have 14 ducks right now, all but 2 are calls, and they are various ages. They all absolutely LOVE peas. I divide them up among 3 or 4 bowls so everyone gets a chance - it's like a free for all. Everytime I walk in a grocery store, I check to see if the peas are on sale. I try to keep it down to no more than 2 C per treat day, but sometimes I spoil them a bit more. My Magpie female was injured by a predator last year and the only thing she would eat for a few weeks was peas - I credit them with pulling her through. Sometimes I sprinkle some dried meal worms on top of the peas - yummy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by