Green poo, head shaking, symptoms LIKE Gape worms but not ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have lost a number of my chickens with what I think is the same disease but different symptoms. One had green poo, one shook her head, one gasp for air, one could not stand, etc. The ONE thing they ALL had in common, (other than the roo I found dead one a.m.) is a slow decline in health. They all get the "I don't feel good" symptom which sometimes develops into other symptoms. This mostly takes a few days to a few weeks before they die despite my stoic efforts to help them. They are 1 black Australorph about a yr. old and 7 J. G.'s (which were supposed to be vac. for Mareks.) Any ideas ? Thanks !!

2. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Get your flock on SuperBoost or Poultry Nutri Drench ASAP. A lack of vitamin in their diet could be causing this. Have a vet come out and check them or take a chicken to the vet and find out what's going on.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would rule out worms with an aggressive de-worming, something like 5 days of Safeguard at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds), that should take care of most worms, including gapes and capillary.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And learn how to tube feed.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by