Green Poo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylilchix, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Can chickens get green poo from eating too much lettuce and grass hay? We recently gave the flock a bag of mixed greens. Then I changed their coop bedding and put in some older (not moldy) grass hay that my llamas wouldn't eat (they don't like to eat it when it gets too bleached out). Since the lettuce and hay I've noticed green poo. Could it be from all of the greens or do they have something else?

Sonja

2. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    i don't give my girls much in the way of greens and their poo has always been green. sometimes it's more yellow, sometimes it's almost black, but usually some shade of green

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Does it look florecent? If so that is an indication of not eating well. If the bird is under a year old, I would treat for cocci-only if it is bright florecent green.

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, just a nice forest green. It's got a lot of the hay in it too. Yep, it's gross I checked it just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your advice!!
    Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by