1. AgentBloomers

AgentBloomers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Buckingham
    [​IMG]

My hen hasn't been well, she was off colour on Thursday afternoon so went to the vet Friday and was TYNOL from Friday

Today (Saturday) she has seemed happier I was getting occasional droppings with what looked like undigested grass now im getting what looks like green beans.

Today she has eaten meal worms, sweet corn, parma ham, dog food (the brand is called natural it has a higher meat content than cat food and has no crap in it), pecked at some natural yogurt.

PLEASE HELP I've been reading posts about green poo and I'm so scared its nearly midnight and I'm cluded to my lap top post chicken owner melt down

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I also see yellow?

-Kathy

3. AgentBloomers

Jan 23, 2014
    Buckingham
    Yep there's some yellow, you're right. Just read a post on another site saying that green poo can often mean poisoning

Well, I called the breeder to order some wormer, described the symptoms and he knew straight away that it is secondary poisoning - most likely slug pellets. The bright green poop is a giveaway apparently.

I told him that we do not use slug pellets AT ALL in the garden, but he said a piece of poisoned mouse or rat from a neighbour's garden dropped by a crow (and we have plenty of those) would be enough. And this particular hen would be just the one to grab a morsel like that and run with it.

Time will eventually flush the toxin from her system, and the more water she takes on board the quicker it will resolve itself. I'm off to spoon some water into her beak right now, just to make sure.

Thought you might like to know...

BRIGHT GREEN POOP = POISONING.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Hmmm... I've seen green poop in many sick birds and none of them were poisoned. Here's one:

[​IMG]

According to UC Davis, that bird died from ascites due to a heart defect. It was raised indoors and had no access to any toxins.

-Kathy

5. AgentBloomers

Jan 23, 2014
    Buckingham
    Thanks. Though my hen lives indoors there is always access to a good size garden with several manure piles waiting to be used on the veggie garden, theres a good mix of insects, worms and plants;and when I'm also out in the garden she has a 5 acre paddock to roam round.

She pooddled outside today for 5 minutes and had a pick around; she's not being held captive she has equal access to outside as well as in.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Many diseases can cause green poo, but what worries me is that it's green and yellow. Now is probably a good time to get a baseline weight on her, then weigh her every few days. I seriously doubt that she ate something poisonous. [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by