1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green Poop- has anyone ever treated this successfully?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aggiemae, Jan 4, 2014.

1. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    I have read a few threads about green poops and they never end well. Does this ever have a good outcome?

BACK STORY:

We had a sick molting hen a few weeks back. She was squat walking and seemed tired and the tips of she new quills were bleeding but it did not seen like she had been pecked. I I bought her in to keep her warm. I looked her over and checked what I could (I even used a magnifying glass. Her croup was smaller and softer than usual but it was not empty. She has always been a slight hen but it seemed that her keel was protruding more then usual. I wormed her though the flock had a negative fecal just 4 weeks earlier. I also gave her some cooked liver and vitamins (for iron) as she seemed to have lost blood and she did perk up a bit afterwards but continued to squat walk on and off. A few days along with thousands of quill tips we noticed mites crawling on the paper towels we were using to line the shower that was her temporary home. We dusted her with Sevin and she steadily recovered. Two days later, even though it was 18 degrees and she was half bald from molting she was jumping all over, pecking at the window and squawking at her flock mates but mostly because she was being so loud I put her back out. Since then she has seemed well and her new feathers have mostly come in but she looks still a bit thin.

TODAY:

Today when I was cleaning the coop I found a row of wet poops in the sand on the floor, some of then have grass green streaks or splats. I checked and found a few more like this in the yard. The green poops in the coop are not under the area when the previously sick chicken usually roosts but, of course, they do sometimes changed spots.

I clean the coop every few days and there were more wet poops under the roost that normal of about a week. I did notice a splat of green and white poop in the yard on Friday and looked around the run and coop but didn't notice any others until this afternoon

The hens are all eating and drinking normally. They get layer and scatter a few handfuls of scratch mix that includes hulled raw sunflower seeds and oyster shell calcium out for them a couple times a day..

When I noticed the mites I powder the three hens that are easy to catch with Sevin dust and I dumped a cup in the spot where they all dust thinking it would be enough to get rid of the mites.

I will take go out and note which hens are above the green poop mess and probably then take them each off the roost and check their keels, croups and vents tonight and post if I find something more.

For now my worry is that the other green poop threads don't seem to have good outcomes and I can't figure out what the cause was or if it's contagious.

2. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    It appears that it's Elizabeak, the same hens that was sick a few weeks ago is the one with the green poops. I checked all eight hens and took the time too oil their combs, waddles and feet and gave then a light dusting of Sevin around their bottoms and under their wings.

Six of them checked out OK, though the diarrhea/wet poop ton the coop floor needs treatment.

The concern is that both RIR's, (Elizabeak and Pinkie Pie) have protruding Keels. They are hatchery/feed store hens are finishing a hard molt. They are good layers though both always been scrawny but about the same size. I weighted them tonight and right now Elizabeak is almost 6oz lighter that Pinkie. Her croup is smallish and soft but not empty. The skin on her face seems extremely dry and though I can't put my finger on it there is something off/wrong about the way it looks. She has lots of dry stuff on her head, it looks like tiny quill tips. I checked with a magnifying glass and it's not mites or anything alive but she is the only hens who has this. She doesn't have any nasal discharge and her breath smells normal Her breathing seemed to be moist and raspy while I was handling her but her lungs sound clear. I did put a dab of Vet RX under each wing.

The weight loss is significant so I doubt that it's caused by slight URI symptoms. I am not even sure she had a cold.. .Still, based on the experiences of others here with green poop, I am thinking antibiotic might be needed before her slight URI symptoms get worse. I have Duramycin (oral tetracycline) on hand and unless someone here has a better plan I will start her on it in the morning. I am opened to suggestions.

THANKS in advance for any help you can offer.

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Green poop is often an indicator that the bird is starving. I am sure many problems can cause this. Check her crop in the morning to make sure her crop is flat before she eats and drinks. You had mention she squat walks, is that like a penguin walk?

4. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    yes, she was doing that a few weeks ago but seemed to recover. I just read up on it and am suspecting Merricks Disease something I originally discounted because she was immunized. I am really at a loss about this especially because all the girls are probably infected. I think I'll try to tube feed her to see if she can put the weight back on. Up until she got sick last time she was a mean bad tempered hen and my least favorite but she lately has become so sweet (insert swear words here).

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    What did you use to deworm her with. How old is she?

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Was it the walking like a penguin?

7. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Yes she she was penguin a few weeks ago but it stopped pretty much right after I dusted her for mites. I originally used rooster booster to worm her because she was molting but last week I wormed all of them with Safeguard.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Heres a link refers to the penguin walk, it it refers to impacted or egg bound oviduct. Go to number 5
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

9. aggiemae

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    She was and still is molting so she's not eggbound but thanks for taking the time to respond.

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Sounds like the Greens (enteritis) to me. Enteritis can slow the crop and cause crop impaction. Bio-Mycin or Gentamicin often helps birds recover if it isn't too late. Bio-Mycin 200 is 1 cc in the breast muscle morning and evening for 3-5 days. Alternate each side of the breast to prevent soreness from injection. Use a 25 gauge needle on the syringe. Gentamicin is 1/2 cc in the breast muscle, morning and evening for 3-5 days. Only feed easily digested foods during this time, and avoid any extra mineral supplements like oyster shell. A start and grow formula, dry or moistened should be alright during this treatment. Supplement water after treatment with vitamin-mineral, and probiotic dispersible powder for 3-5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by