Green poop lethargic bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mercedesmarina, Apr 18, 2017.

1. mercedesmarina

mercedesmarina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    I have a year old polish rooster that was found "resting" in a nesting box yesterday. He was having a hard time keeping his head up and his wings are dropping. His poop is a greenish color, and he is allowing us to hold him (not his usual style).

This onset was very sudden, yesterday morning when I left for work he was up and about like normal, and my husband discovered him in the nesting box in the evening. We separated him and cleaned all the shavings out of the coop as a precaution.

I'll add some pictures of the droppings, but they're more green in person than I can capture in photos.

2. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017
    Does anyone have any suggestions??? I was going to go to tractor supply and see if I could get some type of meds, but I don't even know where to start!

4. 123Pumpkin123

123Pumpkin123 Just Hatched

Apr 18, 2017
    Has there been any change in diet or introduction of new flocks lately? This could be due to stress, or you could have a virus of some sort on your hands. Is he drinking and eating? Is his breathing normal (if you hear clicking it could be a problem) however I doubt he has a heart problem from what you've described. Any other symptoms? F The poopvlooks like something I've seen before with baby chicks, so idk about that. It could be cocci, which usually shows intestine lining in the droppings and listlessness for several days but this doesn't seem to point at thst, but if you notice blood in droppings Corid 9.6 liquid solution 2tsp per gallon for five to seven days would turn it around IF it is cocci (very uncertain if it is)..until there's a clear indication of what it is getting him on some electrolytes would help him out. Have any other chickens been like this?

5. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017

He seemed to be drinking but not eating much. I started him on electrolytes yesterday. He's breathing normal, and no change in diet.

We got 3 new birds 2.5 weeks ago, but they were vaccinated and raised on medicated feed (I bought them from a breeder), and haven't been fully introduced yet. They're in a temporary pen. They are 10 weeks old now.

He seems all chipper as of this morning, was eating some food, and seemed back to his paranoid self when I got close to the "chicken hospital" as I call it. I'm not going to reintroduce him to be sure. I don't want to risk all of the hens.

How weird is that though??? Do chickens get 48hr bugs????

6. 123Pumpkin123

Apr 18, 2017
    Hmm that is strange, is he still perky as of now or has he subdued again?

Is he molting? Sometimes chickens become depressed when they molt

I will look up green poor to see if its anything worth worrying about, afterall maybe he just had some grass or such-does he free range?

I would keep him on electrolytes and separated to see what could be going on

But you might be just dealing with what you said a harmless 48 hour bug

Have you checked for mites or lice? Mites and lice are nasty little creatures and could cause him to be a bit off if they multiply enough

Another thing you could look at is mareks, but I wouldn't freak out too much about that since he isn't really shoeing anything for mareks besides droopiness (which can mean a million other things) but if you find yourself dealing with paralysis that could be it

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017

As of this morning he's still perky. He actually escaped his little temporary pen while I was filling his water and I had to chase him around!

No mites/lice, and I don't think he's molting? I've had these guys a little over a year, but I don't think they've molted, is that possible? Pictures of molting that I've seen look fairly noticeable.

I'm planning on keeping him separate today and tomorrow still, and possibly reintroducing him Saturday if he's still looking good.

8. 123Pumpkin123

Apr 18, 2017

Well that's good! Is his pop still looking greenish or nodmal? My guess is that maybe he just got a little cold or malnourished and needed some electrolytes, if he's still doing good you could reintroduce, just keep an eye out but he seems fine from what you've told me

9. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017
    Poop isn't green anymore, I think he'll be joining the ladies this weekend!

10. 123Pumpkin123

Apr 18, 2017
    awesome! Good to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by