Green Poop - Lethargic - Metal Poisoning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickfl, Sep 23, 2016.

1. newchickfl

newchickfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    I just want to give another view of anyone that has a chicken that is lethargic and has green poop that is of watery consistency. A few weeks back I came home on a Friday to find my golden laced wyandotte lying in the yard - she was very lethargic and let me just pick her up which she never did. she was hunched over and acting like she was trying to lay an egg. my first thought was she was egg bound, I brought her in and started to treat her. She was dead 8 hours later. A few days later my EE started acting the same way - however this time I tried worming first that didn't work - I than tried antibiotics (amoxicillin) and she seemed to get better but only for a couple days than started going back down, at the same time my cochin started to do the same thing....than I than did more research and got some corid thinking it was cocci - in the mist of all this I had bought a plastic waterer because I only had the galvanized steel and did not want it to react with the medicine. I had noticed though that my metal waterer had rust on the outside. I planed on sanding it and putting it back up till I ran into the symptoms of metal poisoning in chickens
    Poultry with higher contamination levels may exhibit the following symptoms:

Lethargy
    Depression
    Failure to grow or to maintain weight
    Loose stools – greenish-black in color
    Lack of balance
    Disorientation
    Inability to perch
    Vomiting
    Brain function disturbance
    Loss of coordination
    Loss of vision
    Seizures
    Inability to hold head straight
    Death

some these are almost the same as my chickens and are similar to cocci - please check your metal waterers and feeders for rust - they could be slowly killing your chickens. I will never use the metal ones again. my chickens are better now and all starting to act like themselves again. I do believe it was metal poisoning that killed my golden laced wyandotte and started to get my other chickens sick. Just a different view on these symptoms - I saw so many people stumped as my chicken showed no other signs and was fine the night before.
    Thank You

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I am so sorry for your loss. Because of this information I will check my feeder tomorrow as I too have a galvanized one. One consolation for your chicken is that she may have helped other chickens so her dying was not in vain.

3. newchickfl

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    Thank you very much.....that is a wonderful way to look at it - her death brought me to this finding and helped save her sisters:)

4. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    And maybe others as well. Thank u

5. newchickfl

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    [​IMG]

6. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Actually, many of those symptoms do sound a lot like what humans experience from metal poisoning. So on that I would have to agree with your prognosis. I'm glad you solved the problem and your birds are getting better. I will definitely not use anything metal for watering/feeding my chickens in the future!

7. newchickfl

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    I am just glad I ran across that in my searching....I was at a loss.

8. tara1324

tara1324 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    HELP!!! In a matter of half a second, my BLIND duck just happened to find my nose ring, rip it out of my face and swallow it. This may sound stupid, but it's surgical steel. Will this cause metal poisoning? I know it's small, but she is a call duck and weighs just over a pound.

9. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    it will pass

10. newchickfl

Jan 16, 2015
    Florida
    she should be fine, that will cause metal poisoning - Like runt325 stated, it will pass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by