green poop, sleeping all the time--starting to improve, need food ideas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kids and Chicks, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Kids and Chicks

Kids and Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I have an approx 28 week old Australorp pullet (one of three we have). Last week I noticed one of the other pullets chasing her around a bit and she kept ending up back under the coop when the other two were out grazing. On Friday she was basically asleep on her feet and I knew something was wrong so I immediately separated her and put her in another run area and in a kennel at night. She was having very green poop at the time. I thought perhaps she had gotten sick from eating all my frozen garden plants (tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers) that were piled up. All three had been in the area quite a bit recently. I got her to drink some water, eat some laying feed and yogurt. She steadily went downhill over the weekend. By Sunday she was barely drinking and I couldn't get her to eat anything. She had not laid her first egg yet, so we checked to see if she was bound, she wasn't. I forced a couple of teaspoons of yogurt in her and got her to drink some water. We moved the kennel into the garage to keep her warmer. On Monday she ate a bit of cheese but kept falling asleep while I was trying to feed her. She was basically asleep on her feet all the time by this point. Tuesday she ate more cheese and a few peas that night. Her aim was horrible at this point and would miss the food she was pecking at. Wed (yesterday) she ate peas and cheese 6-7 times during the day! She's much more alert and not asleep on her feet nonstop. She still won't eat yogurt or feed. Her poop is still green, but not as dark and there's finally more of it. We are letting her outside to be near the other chickens for a couple hours a day, but still keeping them separated until we know she's better.
    I could really use some advice on what else to try feeding her to get her strength back up. We've tried: canned cat food, yogurt, cheese (likes), peas (likes), corn (likes), laying feed, cooked carrots, toast, crackers, bird seed, and tomatoes. We are really hoping she pulls through this! I try to add a few things to her dish even though she hasn't been eating all of them.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Stay away from toast and crackers - too much salt. Let her eat anything she likes like the corn and peas. Sprout some seeds like sunflower seed or alfalfa. Since she's not laying, cut out the layer feed or anything else that's high calcium. Make sure you keep her drinking water. A little honey or sugar in the water will give some energy.
    If you have some grower feed give that till she starts laying. You could mix it with water.
    4% calcium (layer feed) is high for a bird not producing eggs.

3. dipsychicks

dipsychicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Fergus Falls, Minnesota
    we had a silkie chick that seemed to have pooping issues and a plugged crop and not thriving well at the time; read that someone used papaya concentrate mixed with chick feed helped their digestive system. i could not find any papaya "concentrate" in my area but found whole papaya at superwalmart produce. i cut out the flesh and pureed in a blender and she devoured it. she started coming around after a week or so of daily papaya feedings. now, i buy one every so often for the whole flock and cut it in half and they peck it clean! i believe that is IS good for their digestive system. maybe try some probiotics in the water you give her? hope all goes well :)

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine I would weigh her daily on a kitchen or postal scale and if she wasn't eating I would tube feed her. If you want to learn how to tube I can teach you, it's *very* easy to do safely, but if not, you could try offering her live crickets or mealworms from a pet store or scrambled eggs.

Two great threads on how to tube feed:

Remember that it's not usually the disease that kills them, it's dehydration and starvation and green poop usually means starvation.

-Kathy

5. Kids and Chicks

Jun 11, 2013
    I tried the scrambled eggs too. She didn't touch them. I honestly don't think I could tube feed her. Trying to get the yogurt in her with the medicine syringe was hard enough! I know the only reason she is still alive is the fact I kept prodding her to eat and not giving up. I knew she would starve. So happy to see her improving, want to keep it going. Our chickens are not pets, but I am not going to watch as an animal suffers.
    Our feed store doesn't have the grower food, just chick and laying. Store and chicken supplier both said laying feed would be fine.
    I don't have any papaya, but do have mango. Maybe give that a try.
    Forgot to mention I also tried apples and pears (no seeds). All the foods we tried she normally ate. Gave her a little bit of torn up bread this morning and she ate that too. Luckily I can feed her small bits throughout the day. We thought this would be better for her. Not sure how much cheese to give her, she loves it.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Weighing is excellent advice
    I would feed chick starter. Get a non-medicated if they have a choice. Commercial operators sometimes lose 5 - 50% of a layer flock if they start layer too soon.
    1% calcium for growing and maintenance is a big difference than 4% for birds that need to build a shell a day that uses 1.7 grams of calcium. Excess calcium not needed to build egg shells must be excreted by the kidneys. Overloading them can deposit calcium in body tissue, blood vessels and organs, including the heart.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tubing is much easier and way less stressful to both the bird and the human. Once good at it it will take you less that three minutes three times a day to do it. As for your store not having grower, chick starter would be fine, you just want a higher protein than the lay pellets/crumble, which are probably 16%.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, I'm available by phone to help *anyone* learn how to tube, you just have to be willing to get the supplies:

• SIze 18 french catheter
    • 35 or 60 ml catheter tip syringe
    • Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Food or equivalent

-Kathy

9. Kids and Chicks

Jun 11, 2013
    I'll stop by the feed store to pick up some different feed. Our other two pullets are laying though, so I may end up just feeding this one seperate for a little while. She's eaten about half a cup of peas and corn so far today plus some cheese, bread and wild bird seed so I'm very happy with her improvement. I really thought we were going to lose her. She's outside now scratching around in the yard. There's a lot more poop in her kennel today. Unfortunately it's still pretty green, but her diet has mainly been peas the last two days.

Any suggestions when I can return her to the flock. We really don't know what made her sick in the first place.

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Many things can cause green droppings. Most are rare except lymphoid leucosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by