Green poop with a white coating....?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marilyn15, Jul 12, 2011.

1. marilyn15

marilyn15 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Sorry for the gross subject line, but was wondering I noticed when I went out to check on my flock today for the second time I noticed green poop with a white coating from one of our hens, not sure which. It has been very hot, but we have a venitilated coop and a fan in there and we have a shaded run. I go out many times a day and change their water and give treats. Is this normal? Only one hen was acting different but I think she may have been trying to lay in the run, she was laying down pretty flat. We have another hen that is broody and she was on her nest. Other then that all have been acting fine. We did lose one of our plymouth Rock's for no known reason a couple of weeks ago, found her dead in the coop. Other than that all has been well.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Don't broodies deposit extra large stinky greenish poo?

If not your broody then sooner think it was coloration from veggie treat. After my days of planting in garden our girls have very runny brown discharge due to the abundance of earth worms treated them.

3. marilyn15

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Thank you for clarifying that, and that could possibly be from our broody hen or from all the treats. we usually give them leftovers and scraps from vegetables and fruit every night and they also get to free range for about an hour or two everynight. Thank you....

Quote:

4. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
  5. marilyn15

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Ugh! I was in a hurry when I posted that, but forgot to mention that I believe our broody hen is missing. We let them free range for about an hour or two each night and when I say night I mean at about five and then we put them back in the run and lock them in the coop right at dark or they go in on their own. I do not know what happened tonight except that at about 6:30 I went out to put them in the run because I was thinking a storm was coming, it was starting to get windy out. WEll I got everyone in but could not find two hens one was our broody hen we call the old one, and one was Juliet my son's favorite. I looked and looked and then my friend saw one of our hens all the way across the yard by our kids swing set which is somewhere they never go, we got her (Juliet) but now can not find our old one and I have been looking for three hours [​IMG]. She is a Cochin and our Cochin never get on the roost, so I doubt she is in a tree. I t makes me sick that now it is dark and I have been back out there looking for her and no luck. It makes me feel so helpless. OUr coop is securely locked up so I left the run open and will keep checking but know it is just wishful thinking..........guess I will not let them free range anymore unless we are out there the whole time. It is just so strange because I kept a watch on them the whole time from my window and deck...

Quote:

6. marilyn15

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
  7. marilyn15

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    That was so helpful! Thanks so much! And yes all in the normal range. I had just not seen such a large deposit before! Never thought in my life I would be discussing chicken poo![​IMG][​IMG] Now if someone could just find my missing hen! [​IMG]

Rockin' Reds :

Here is a really helpful extensive poop chart that someone kindly put together. Fair warning...ick. [​IMG] Hopefully you can match it up and it will be in the normal category. Good luck!
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

8. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Quote:
    Ha ha...I know...the things we discuss here! [​IMG] I was hoping it was normal. My girls always leave me a nice HUGE pile of green poo with the white coating every morning...and it smells. I guess I shouldn't complain because they usually do this outside in the run almost immediately after I let them out of the hen house, so I don't have to clean it out of the hen house. Thanks girls! [​IMG]

ETA...I'm sorry about your missing hen...I sure hope you are able to find her safe and sound.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    If it is your broody girl that is missing, she may be setting up a hidden nest somewhere. I have one that does that from time to time. Also, chickens have poor night vision, so perhaps she is staying put wherever she is and will come out in the morning. Hope all is well. [​IMG]

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Let us know tomorrow, ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by