Green poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PertyGertie, Feb 4, 2016.

1. PertyGertie

PertyGertie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    I noticed my Cochin Pullet acting sleepy last Friday. I thought maybe she was just drowsy and taking a nap. When I checked back in on the girls on Saturday she was back up on the roost in the middle of the day with nasty watery green poops under her on the poop boards. I brought her inside and took a poop sample to the vet. He said there was cocci in the poop. He isn't a chicken vet but said I needed to treat for coccidiosis. I have been battling coccidiosis for a couple of months. I seem to get it under control and it comes back. I was keeping the girls on low dose Corid for two weeks after their outbreak treatment in hopes to finally nix the problem. I read somewhere that @casportpony uses Sulmet when Corid isn't effective.

Here was a couple of her poops on Sunday:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She has been in the house since Saturday and is on her last day of Sulmet today. Her poops are solid now but are still green. I plan on taking a sample back to the vet tomorrow but in a serious case of cocci do they still poop green after this much treatment?

She is walking around and acting quite normal. She calls to me (she's in the basement with a heat lamp and a smorgasbord of food) when she hears my voice. She has gained 6 ounces in the past 4 days.

Here is some poops I cleaned up tonight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her poops are most definitely more normal shaped but still green. She has occasional cecal poops that are very dark brown and extremely smelly.

She is acting normal and loving all the food and attention. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on?

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    How much corid have you been using

3. PertyGertie

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    I used 1 1/2 teaspoon liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. After that I used 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. I was into week two of 1/2 t when I noticed my Cochin on the roost midday.

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I would recommend only 1 teaspoon per gallon of water am make sure she is getting plenty of the corid water and how old is your corid as you can only store they corid soluble powder in a sealed container for 3 days and I don't use the liquid

5. PertyGertie

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    I started tube feeding her on Saturday because she wouldn't eat or drink. By Tuesday she was picking at dried mealworms, scrambled eggs, cornmeal mush, bread, yogurt, cheese, etc. Now she is chasing grapes across the floor and eating like she feels good.

6. PertyGertie

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    My Corid says the expiration date is May 27, 2020.

When I tube fed her I put Sulmet water in baby bird formula.

7. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok well I would recommend trying the corid for a few more days and see how she is doing then since you said she has been eating now is she drinking at all or anything

8. PertyGertie

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    I have been mixing Sulmet water in her cornmeal mush as well as oatmeal and layer mash. I put a line on her waterer so I can tell how much she's drinking and she isn't drinking a lot but is getting quite a bit from her wet foods I've been making. She's eaten most of a plate of scrambled eggs (2 small eggs) and many grapes and some cantaloupe as well as a plate of cornmeal mush today. She follows me all around when I'm cleaning up her soiled puppy pads. She is acting like a healthy chicken except for her green poops.

9. PertyGertie

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    By checking UPS tracking I should have the last component to do my own fecal floats tomorrow. Not sure I want to rely on that tho. It is Friday after all. My vet isn't open this Saturday.

10. PertyGertie

Jul 10, 2014
    Southwest Michigan
    I also received my order of Baycox in the mail yesterday. I'm getting myself armed to beat this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by