Jan 4, 2022
Dallas, Georgia.
I keep getting Leghorn hens with poop like this, I never find the right answer, and they always end up dying. It's only ever been my Leghorns, don't know why. Maybe one of you have the right answer and a solution for me because I am so lost. I found her hiding under my porch and brought her in. This is what she produced in 3 hours, how her butt looks (why I brought her in), and her current appearance. I do not suspect that she is laying eggs.

Attachments

• 20230214_182613.jpg
    20230214_182613.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 407
  • 20230214_182633.jpg
    20230214_182633.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230214_182618.jpg
    20230214_182618.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi there, Green poop is either from infection or not eating/digestion/crop issues.
What do you feed your birds and how are they fed?
I feed them Tucker Mills pellets, crumble, and cracked corn in a feeder (with grit and calcium) that I suspend above a grate (its been raining a ton and dont want them getting old feed). Water gets a treatment of sour crop supplement every 2 months. There's not much grass to graze but plenty of bugs in the field.

I feed them Tucker Mills pellets, crumble, and cracked corn in a feeder (with grit and calcium) that I suspend above a grate (its been raining a ton and dont want them getting old feed). Water gets a treatment of sour crop supplement every 2 months. There's not much grass to graze but plenty of bugs in the field.
What's the protein percentage of the feeds?
Don't mix corn into the feed, corn isn't exactly good for them and they'll just pick it out and not eat the healthy feed.
She might nutritionally behind.

Cut out the corn, and just feed layer feed. Usually green poop is from not eating enough. Could she be bullied or vent pecked by other chickens? Is she low in pecking order, or being kept from food? I would clean up her vent area with soap and water, and get a new picture. Does she have a prolapse or pecking scars?

I would separate her with food and water, and offer some cooked egg or tuna, and try wetting some layer feed. Once she is eating and drinking, then watch her behavior when back out with the chickens.

Has she been laying recently? If you do not have multiple feeders and waterers, that can be helpful with meeker birds.

Back
Top Bottom