1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green poop...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smudge, Feb 27, 2014.

1. smudge

smudge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    2 of my neighbor's Golden Laced Wyandottes are trying to be broody, I think - always scrunched down in the nesting box. I tried taking them out of the nesting boxes and coop today (1 at a time) and each one let go with a big ginormous green poop. [​IMG]

Is this a broody thing or an illness thing? Should I be advising my neighbor to worm these girls or break them of their broodiness or something else? They seem small to me, but that could be because I'm used to my 6 Buff Orpingtons.

Sorry, no pix.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It was really foul smelling, wasn't it. Typically 'broody poop'.

3. smudge

smudge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    I was outside, and the smell doesn't seem to carry well in this cold weather. (Or maybe my nose is frozen.)

Just wanted to make sure it really was most likely the dreaded broody poop... Of chickens sitting on golf balls, now that I've removed the 6 polished eggs Daffy was sitting on.[​IMG]

On the up side, my neighbor *was* complaining about having too many eggs, and not enough people to give them to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by