green potaotoes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenteen, Nov 29, 2009.

1. chickenteen

chickenteen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    richlands N.C.
    will the eat green potaotoes you know the ones you dig up to ealry and they never ripen?

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

You are not suppose to give those to chickens, I have heard that you especially should not feed them the peels.
    The solanine in the green of the potatoes is poisonous to humans and animals.

3. chickenteen

chickenteen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    richlands N.C.
    even if i cook it?

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    green potatoes are bad (poisonous). The only thing they are good for is the trash (not sure if composting them is ok [​IMG] ).
    ETA: Yep, even cooking. Any green should be cut off if it is only a small portion and the mostly green ones should just be tossed. Oh, and the leaves of the potato plants are poisonous as well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. ChickenfeedR

ChickenfeedR Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2009
    Burlingame(near SFO)
    Chickenteen,
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that green potatoes can have a high concentration of Solanine and are not recommended to eat. Dunno if they are safe for chickens. I just save them for seed potatoes for the next season. Good Luck, Larry

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Cooking won't change the poisonous chemical in it, just throw them out.

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    No good. Leaves of any potato will kill a horse. I have sweet potatoes and will not feed the greens to my chooks for fear that they are bad too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by