1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green Pumpkins, are they safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dragonchick, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Are they safe to give to the chicks. The chicks are 6 weeks old. I was given several(6) green colored pumpkins but if they are not safe they will go out with the trash. I have a good ripe orange one for them also.
    Andi

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure, why not? Not moldy and not painted, should be fine. Just don't taste as sweet.

3. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Thanks. The pumpkins are not moldy and they are not painted. I had never seen a green pumpkin though. All the one I have seen are orange even when they were growing.
    Andi

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I bet they are a) the green type of pumpkin b) picked so young they didn't mature c) have not been chilled yet. Pumpkins turn orange when ripe and chilled.

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Pumpkins- do you give them raw or cooked? I got some free pumpkins at the supermarket and just hacked one open with an axe for them. They had absolutely NO interest in it!!! I was bummed. i thought I'd heard you all saying your chickens loved raw pumpkin.....

6. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I tried to give my girls raw pumpkin, but it was too hard for them to eat. I roasted another one in the oven and they ate it up like candy. I think they liked it better because it was soft and maybe because it was warm.

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My chickens won't eat it raw, but if I cook it on a plate with saran wrap over it in the microwave, they eat it up like it's the best thing on earth.

8. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thanks! I will try offering it cooked. Although I did roast some squash for them the other day and they didn't eat that..... I thought it was such a lovely treat, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by