Green Pumpkins, are they safe?

dragonchick

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Are they safe to give to the chicks. The chicks are 6 weeks old. I was given several(6) green colored pumpkins but if they are not safe they will go out with the trash. I have a good ripe orange one for them also.
Andi

Thanks. The pumpkins are not moldy and they are not painted. I had never seen a green pumpkin though. All the one I have seen are orange even when they were growing.
Andi

Pumpkins- do you give them raw or cooked? I got some free pumpkins at the supermarket and just hacked one open with an axe for them. They had absolutely NO interest in it!!! I was bummed. i thought I'd heard you all saying your chickens loved raw pumpkin.....

I tried to give my girls raw pumpkin, but it was too hard for them to eat. I roasted another one in the oven and they ate it up like candy. I think they liked it better because it was soft and maybe because it was warm.

My chickens won't eat it raw, but if I cook it on a plate with saran wrap over it in the microwave, they eat it up like it's the best thing on earth.

Thanks! I will try offering it cooked. Although I did roast some squash for them the other day and they didn't eat that..... I thought it was such a lovely treat, too!

Back
Top Bottom