Green roof coup

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenray, May 26, 2010.

1. chickenray

chickenray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Sonoma
    Finally getting the run together (It was a beach towel and blue tarp). Time to post and share. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still working on finishing touches...
    [​IMG]
    Source of eggs...
    [​IMG]
    Rita
    [​IMG]
    Una (does not appreciate being photographed while laying an egg)

2. Aunt Bea

Aunt Bea Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    I like your green roof coop. Una looks contented and happy too, even those she's having her picture taken. [​IMG]

Aunt Bea

3. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Now that is going Green! Looks great!

4. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I was thinking of putting a green roof on my coop as well. Do you have any tips? What is under the planted section to prevent water from leaking into the coop.

5. chickenray

Mar 23, 2010
    Sonoma
    @ nuts4hotweels:

I used aluminum flashing. A 24" roll trimmed into pieces to make the "pan" then sealed joints with roof patch tar stuff (messy black tar like goop). Don't forget drainage. Ours slopes gently from left to right. On the right you can see where we created a drip edge with the aluminum flashing.

The other option I considered was just coating the "pan" with an elastomeric white roof coating. Probably would have worked and been cheaper but this will last longer.

Wish I had built it deeper for more soil but the herbs seem do do fine. This will be the second summer and it did seem to help to cool the coop at nights.

Best

6. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thanks for the information. I am in Texas and it is hot in the summer, it would be a great way to keep my coop cool.

7. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I was gonna do a living roof too using a pond liner. I've seen a kit to make living walls too. What all are you gonna plant up there?

8. chickenray

Mar 23, 2010
    Sonoma
    Yeah pond liner would probably work real well.... didn't think of that.

9. elcunni75

elcunni75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    SE MA
    If we ever go beyond the current tarp atop the coop...
    We plan on using a pond liner with rope for wicks off the back (shed style roof) and we plan to plant Sedum.. all types!

10. chickenray

Mar 23, 2010
    Sonoma
    @elcunni75

Sounds great! I wouldn't rely on rope wicks to do much for drainage though. I'm pretty sure you would have a pond up there. I'd really suggest some direct drainage (as an architect we always worry about ponding).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by