Green Roof for Coop and Cement Board

cukooformarans

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Alabama
:frowI am about to build a coop and really love the idea of a green roof. In the interest of using what we have on hand, I was wondering if concrete board would make an acceptable base. (We have a little left over from a tiling project.) Y'all be gentle if this is a dumb question- I know nothing about construction and can't find anything that specifically addresses this question on this site or online. :confused:

BirdsBeesTrees

Isaiah 5:20
Premium Feather Member
Mar 10, 2019
Iowa
I'm unsure of what a concrete board is. Do you have a picture?
I would think that would add a lot of weight to the roof.
On a green roof do you add soil for the plants? That would add weight too. You wouldn't want it to collapse onto your birds...

cukooformarans

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Alabama
https://www.homedepot.com/p/USG-Dur...-Cement-Board-with-EdgeGuard-172954/304163165
This is a link to the product. It is heavy, so we would definitely have to support it well. But I thought it may hold up to moisture and the weight of the bed better than plywood. Of course, we would also have to install a moisture barrier. From what I understand, people typically use a mixture of soil and lighter weight materials for the growing medium, but it is still heavy. :)

Top Bottom