1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

green roof (ie, grass and plants on top)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silseb, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Silseb

Silseb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Hi we are looking to construct a environmentally friendly "green " roof to replace our existing one. Currently sheet metal slanted at a gentle slope. Climate is cool and rainy.any ideas on what materials and which order to lay them on would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd use EPDM rubber (used for roofing and pond liners) and cover that with a sheet of polyethylene. For the medium, if it isn't too thick, you could use a mixture of compost and expanded slate. There are other green roof growing mediums that are lightweight.

3. foulplay

foulplay Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree a green roof with plants is the best I have a green roof and I used foundation wrap.

4. foulplay

foulplay Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

5. Silseb

Dec 26, 2012
    I'd use EPDM rubber (used for roofing and pond liners) and cover that with a sheet of polyethylene.
    [/quo

What is polyethylene?

6. Silseb

Dec 26, 2012
    Thx for the pix the page with the building was great

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

8. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    I saw a photo on line of a pretty one filled with sages creeping thyme and succulents but can't find it now. It was take in Seattle. The woman who built it used some boot trays from Ikea. that where held in place on a roof with a 20-25 degree slant by a simple frame made of 2X4's. This would work great in a place where the summers don't stay hot for more than a few days and would be easy to irrigate.

9. Silseb

Dec 26, 2012
    Plastic is now on. and carpet to help anchor the plants and help hold moisture.. Next will be soil and seed and mesh to hold it all on until it gets rooted. thank you .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by