green runny poop

cmarlowdrive

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
I am worried about my Swedish Hen. She has green runny poo and sits a lot. She seems to be lethargic and stayed on the roost this morning.
Last night I had to wash the poo off her back end while she sat in the warm water. I work full time and don't know if she is eating or drinking. Very worried about her.
I did not feel an egg when I did a vent check.
Also, I did something very stupid. I treated one small corner of my yard for ticks with Sevin Dust. My birds have access to that area when they free range.

Please advise.

I doubt if the problem is from the Sevin dust. Green droppings can be a sign of not eating enough. Check her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft or hard. Try mixing some feed with water and yogurt, and add some chopped or raw egg to coax her to eat. It might help to keep track of her intake and droppings by placing her in a dog crate with puppy pads or paper towels for a couple of days with food and water. Give her a thorough exam for lice and mites on her skin, feel her breast bone for weight loss, and you can feel inside her vent with one finger an inch or two for a stuck egg. A vet check might be in order if possible.

I doubt if the problem is from the Sevin dust. Green droppings can be a sign of not eating enough. Check her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft or hard. Try mixing some feed with water and yogurt, and add some chopped or raw egg to coax her to eat. It might help to keep track of her intake and droppings by placing her in a dog crate with puppy pads or paper towels for a couple of days with food and water. Give her a thorough exam for lice and mites on her skin, feel her breast bone for weight loss, and you can feel inside her vent with one finger an inch or two for a stuck egg. A vet check might be in order if possible.
I agree. My rooster had the same problem and after tube feeding him for about a week and he stopped pooping green. Green poop means that they using up whatever fat they have left. Could also be mareks? Sorry this isn't much help... Hope your chicken gets better!

Thank you for all the great advice. I took my sweet Petunia to vet they found a broken pelvis. She is resting nicely at home on a make shift hammock in a quiet room with pain meds for 2-3 weeks. I will be hand feeding her and have her water where she can reach it. She has been instructed not to move. She is on the road to a long recovery. She is so pitiful.

The hammock is made with an old t-shirt and a wooden dowel that runs through the arms and a dowel that threads through some holes at bottom of T-shirt. which was strategically stretched and place in the holes on side of hamper. Her legs hang over both sides like a diaper where her legs are dangling on either side. She does not seem to mind this situation. I am so glad I took her to the Dr.

So glad that you got vet help. Hopefully, she will be on the mend soon. Thanks for showing pics of your sling. Placing little bowls of food and water within reach are also good. There are quite a few chicken slings and chairs pictured here if by doing a search and also on google.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom