Green sheen? Correct Breeds and sex

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
I could not get a picture of the sheen, but I have a little black chickie and a "cuckoo maran" that both have a green sheen on their black feathers. The maran has a few green sheens on the black parts of her feathers on her back here and there. The little black chickie a "austrolop" has all green sheen feathers! Here are some pics of them but like I said I couldnt get the sheen.

The maran on the right
28956_img_20110901_121141.jpg

The same maran on the right
28956_img_20110901_120509.jpg

Quick question: Is the Maran on the left a boy? Has the same comb as the other maran but it is lighter.

Here is the "austrolop"
28956_img_20110901_120452.jpg

Are these breeds correct? Or what! lol

not sure about the maran, I have BR and the two are very similar.
I agree with the Australorp...I also have those

Australorps are supposed to have a green sheen to their feathers as are many other breeds when the color is black. The green sheen is a result of black enhancing genes. Bottom is a boy and yes, I think you have the breed right.

Quote:
Son of a beesting! I already have a boy bantam... sigh... I would love to have more than one rooster, but I just dont want them to fight.

Quote:
Son of a beesting! I already have a boy bantam... sigh... I would love to have more than one rooster, but I just dont want them to fight.

I have 3 roos, they don't fight...how many girls do you have?
and yes, a BSL will also have the green sheen...

68634_dsc_0014.jpg

Quote:

I have 3 roos, they don't fight...how many girls do you have?
and yes, a BSL will also have the green sheen...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68634_dsc_0014.jpg

who knows now! I have been told that I def have 3 girls... I have one boy porcelain for now, and the little guy is well supposedly a guy. My buff orpy is supposedly a boy too, but the marans... I am not sure about one of them since it is much lighter than the girl, but they both have a small comb... blah!

Do you wait to hear a crow, or do you get rid of right away? I dont want to get rid of him, but if he isnt going to give me eggs then what!!!

We struggled with this too. We didn't wait for the crowing.When we were confident they were roos behavior and looks we put them on craigslist.org as "free to a good forever family" and it worked out great for us. They were gone in a week and to good families that keep in touch with updates and photos. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom