Green slime around underdeveloped chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cara, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Has anyone else seen this, and do you know what causes it? Surprisingly it didn't smell at all.

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    around ???? just wondering if its on the chick or around it on the ground or whatever?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You mean from cracking an unhatched chick?...I'd say its just stopped growing and deterioration has set in...seems I saw something in Backyard Poultry mag. on this very subject (or I'm losing my mind) [​IMG]...on what can happen and at what development in incubation...Let me see if I can find the article...

Maybe someone else will come along with more info for you....

I found nothing on what you are describing in this article......I recommend getting a good ref. book like The Chicken Health Handbook or subscribing to Backyard Poultry mag...lots to learn and helpful articles...And always coming here with questions and answers by people like you or that have raised birds for years with their thoughts
    This is how we learn by asking questions..hope someone can help....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It was in the shell with it, between the membrane with veins and the chick...like a water balloon with a chick inside.

5. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It was moving yesterday, and I was getting worried because I hadn't seen any movement since yesterday afternoon. It was pretty disgusting when I opened it, full of thick green slime in the little sac the chick was in. The chick's beak was crossed, but it wasn't much smaller than the ones that hatched and had feathers.

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    could it have been mushy chick disease? Omphalitis? I think it said something about a geenish color will have to look it up.

7. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    The chick itself looked ok other than the crossed beak. I don't know whether the green stuff drowned it or it came after the chick died.

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That's to bad I hate to lose chicks so close to them hatching. Maybe someone will come along shortly that might know what was wrong.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Cara...type in mushy chick disease and google...I think Poison Ivy may be right....Also a good ref. book to keep in your favorite files is the Merck Veterinary Manual...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Just the sound of that makes me gag LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by