Green spot found on skin (after sudden death) **graphic pictures!

jlafon

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2015
Moscow, Idaho
One of my new seven week old chicks died yesterday. (After being lethargic all day and completely puffed up and not really moving) We looked over her post-mortem to see what could have happened and we found a green spot on her skin, after opening her up we found that it was on the intestines as well.
Does anyone know what it could be?

Here are photos, (sorry, graphic but I wasn't sure how else to describe it)

I'm not sure if that is the spleen or gallbladder. I would guess that she may have had coccidiosis, since there looks like some swelling and hemorrage in the intestines. Hopefully, others will chime in to help you identify the green. I would start some Corid in the water to treat dor cocci, and it certainly won't hurt them, but may some them if that is what your pullet died from. Sorry for your loss.

I'm not sure if that is the spleen or gallbladder. I would guess that she may have had coccidiosis, since there looks like some swelling and hemorrage in the intestines. Hopefully, others will chime in to help you identify the green. I would start some Corid in the water to treat dor cocci, and it certainly won't hurt them, but may some them if that is what your pullet died from. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for your response! That was my first thought, but there was no blood in her stool? just didn't get that symptom maybe?

There are 9 or more strains of coccidia that affect chickens, and only 2-3 cause bloody stools. The best way to confirm it is with a fecal test by a vet, even if they don't treat chickens. Any of them can do this.

Back
Top Bottom