1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

green tails

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by michpetea, Jul 25, 2011.

1. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Always equal males?

Getting a bit discouraged with our 10 hatchlings. Looks like only 2 will be hens [​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Any bird with the black feathering can have the beetle green sheen on the feathers.

3. michpetea

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

These two 14 week olds are my questionable birds. I gave away a brother of theirs two weeks ago when he started learning to crow.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The one in the front is definitaly a rooster. I can't see the one in the back very good but if it has the green tail like the one in the front, its most likely a rooster too.

5. michpetea

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks... I was guessing this way. So far no roo behaviour. The one in front is rather timid too.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Ditto, the one in the front is a roo, can't see the one in the back very well.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

The one in the front is definitaly a rooster. I can't see the one in the back very good but if it has the green tail like the one in the front, its most likely a rooster too.

x2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by