Green Tomatoes....12 pounds of them!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by TammyTX, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I decided to strip my plants since it's supposed to be a hard freeze and the possibility of snow on Friday. Yikes!

~Green Tomato Pie (heard of it but never ate it.)
    ~Fried Green Tomatoes - yes, but only sooo much!
    ~Wait and see if a few of the larger ones will ripen.

...what else?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    We had a coupla hundred pounds 2 years ago, due to a surprise freeze.

I food processed mine, put it in the crockpot over night with onions, garlic, etc, and canned it. Now I just crack a jar open, toss it in a pot/crock with some chicken stock and spicy sausage.

Mmmmmmm yummers. I know what I am making for dinner!

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I saw a recipe for green tomatoe pickles . . .

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Green salsa.....I put up about 30 quarts 2 years ago and sadly down to the last few!

Lucky lucky you!!!!

5. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Ooo! These sound good!!

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    wrap in newspaper store in cool dry place..they will ripen then make me some salsa and send it my way [​IMG]

7. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    ...okay, I'll trade you the salsa for the grandbaby! [​IMG]

8. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Pickled green tomatoes from a lady I quilt with, notice she didn't give me the amount of tomatoes [​IMG] I used 4 pounds I think and added the handful of green peppers that we pulled that day too, they were too puny to be used for anything else

1 c. white sugar, 1 c. dark brown sugar, 1 pint cider vinegar, 2 tbsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp celery seeds, 2 bay leaves, crumbled, ...you boil this, with your onions in it slowly for ten minutes, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes before putting in the jars. (5 pints)...also, they want you to sprinkle the cut up tomatoes with salt and let set overnight, then drain the water off, before making the pickles... oh, yes, let sit four to six weeks before eating

I'm assuming this recipe is fridge style. I processed mine, 10 mins, hot water bath. Got 2 quarts worth.​

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I did pickled green tomatoes, and they have a green olive like essence to them I like green olives so it was a good enough thing.21/2 lbs green cherry tomatoes
    6 sprigs fresh dill
    1 1/2 cups pickling salt (do not use iodized salt-found that out by trial and error)
    2 cups white distilled vinegar
    2 quarts water
    3tablespoons pickling spice.
    (I added a cayenne pepper because I had one.)
    combine tomatoes dill and spice in a large bowl.
    combine salt vinegar and water in a pot and dissolve the salt. cool slightly.
    ladle brine over tomatoes.weigh down the tomatoes with a plate or heavy object.(I used a glass pie pan and put a can of tomatoes on top of it.)

This is the hard part...but we have not died yet, so don't worry about it....
    Cover with a dish cloth and set aside in a cool place for 3 weeks.
    skim surface of scum and foam, replace clean plate and cloth and set aside for another 3 weeks.
    Bottle.
    Process in hot watter canner (180-190 degree F) for 20 minutes
    It can also be stored unprocessed in the refrigerator.

By the time all of the nibbling was done after my 6 week wait, I had a jar and 1/2. So it opted out of the processing. The next batch got processed. and they look great.

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:My dad always complains they don't have pickled tomato's here! LOL So would make a great xmas gift

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by