Green Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BeccaOH, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Here's a great way to use up green tomatoes at the end of the growing season.

Green Tomato Bars
    (a moist dessert bar)
    4 cups green tomato, finely chopped
    2 cups brown sugar, divided
    ¾ cup butter, softened
    1 ½ cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups oatmeal
    ½ cup nuts, chopped
    1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen), optional

In a saucepan, cook tomatoes and 1 cup brown sugar over low heat until tomatoes are softened and juicy. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar; add flour, baking soda, salt, oatmeal, and nuts. Grease a 9x13 pan. Measure out 2 ½ cps dough and press into bottom of pan. Spread tomato mixture, including juice, on top. Sprinkle optional berries over tomatoes. Crumble the remaining dough and sprinkle over all. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
    Yield: 16 servings.

The blueberries help to hide the green from the kids and make the bars more eye appealing. Still just as yummy without the berries, though. [​IMG]

(I'd add this to the BYC cookbook, but I'm already to my 10 limit. [​IMG])

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    This sounds really interesting. What's it taste like?

I might have to add this to the cookbook for you, if you don't mind. [​IMG]

3. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    I've seen a recipe like this before, but was hesitant to try it.
    Since you are recommending it, I will make it later this tomato season. What a good way to use those last green tomatoes.

Thanks

4. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm.............this sounds interesting. Please do tell what it tastes like. Like apple crisp? Like ?????

ps Maybe you can impersonate me and put it in the cook book. I have been lazy and haven't put any recipes in the cook book yet.

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Quote:Feel free.

I didn't get them made last night as planned. Salsa took too long. It has been a year since I last made them, but it probably is close to a tart apple crisp. You can generally hold them like cookie bars. Adding blueberries does add sweetness.

Enjoy!

6. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Boy, that's a very interesting recipe to use up green tomatoes. I use mine up in making relish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by