Green tomatoes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Equus5O, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

What else can you do with them, besides fried and relish? I've never had green tomato relish, and I really don't want to go through all that and not like it. Someone mentioned to me pickled green tomatoes. Is that the same as relish?

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

No. A friend made them and chunked them quarters, put them in the jars with whatever yanks your chain, pour on the brine, and seal. They are beautiful to look at, but haven't tasted them.

3. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
  4. Equus5O

Ya know, I think I may go with the relish after all. I've been recipes and comments, and it seems to be on a par with regular old relish. I won't be able to do it until next week, though. I can't do any canning during my work week. I'd be up all night!

And, from what I've been reading pickled and relish are two different animals. The relish sounds more appealing to me than the pickled.

I'm not too sure about green tomato pie, either! LOL

5. grapesoda

grapesoda Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    I do a green tomato relish from the joy of cooking cookbook.

I also do a modified Enchilada sauce recipe that I made up.

7 to 8 oz. green tomatoes (about 5 medium)
    1 qt. homemade or low-salt chicken broth
    1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb. fresh green peppers and some hot peppers (remember this is a made up recipe so all #'s are really just an estimation.)
    2 minced yellow onions
    2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
    1 cup apple cider vinegar

Dice all ingredients and add everything to big pot

Simmer for 30 minutes.

Puree in cuisinart

Put back in pot and cook until thick.

Can and water bath seal for 20 minutes (or adjust for your altitude).

I use this sauce when making homemade enchiladas.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  6. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Since my husband has about 100 acres of tomatoes right now, I've learned lots of ways to slice, diced, pickle, you name it green and red tomatoes. Pickled green tomatoes are pickle just like cucumbers, but taste a whole lot better. I think Ball canning jar company has a recipe for them in their cookbook. If you can't find it let me know and I'll email it to you.

7. Equus5O

Quote:Thanks. I have the book. I'll have to go check. Mostly what I have now are small green beefsteak type tomatoes. The plums are pretty much done. What do you prefer to use?

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Green tomato pickles! My family loves 'em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by