green urates

Erica

Songster
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
Now this is a little odd.

I have a very healthy looking leghorn cockerel about 11 months old. So far he's been brilliant.

But in the last couple of days I've seen green urates. They're almost turquoise, some of them; others are pea green. He has no other symptoms of anything, no nasal discharge, is eating reasonably well (he's one of these roosters who prefer watching hens eat to eating himself), and has a lovely bright shiny red comb and shiny white feathers.

However the green urates are worrying me. I've read that this can be hepatic in origin (liver damage) and may be caused by psittacosis. However I can't see how he can have psittacosis as there's no cough/sneeze or any kind of nasal discharge, nor has he ever shown respiratory symptoms or diarrhea. His droppings are very well formed and tidy apart from the bright colour. Indeed none of the rest of the flock has ever had any respiratory disease, nor have I brought in any new birds.

He is penned all the time, has no access to poisons of any sort, and the rest of the flock's droppings are fine.

Can I ask, has anyone here ever seen bright green urates before? Was it transient or did it persist? And did you locate a cause?

Many thanks for any ideas on this puzzle,
Erica

Edited to add: I'll just make it clear, the remainder of the droppings are normal, a dark greenish/grey (greenish because he gets his share of beetroot tops and spinach and grass). It's only the urate colour I'm concerned about.
smile.png

Last edited:
I just had that happening, funny enough. My duck was wounded the other day and went off her feed until today. She was passing water and green-tinged urates as feces. I just chalked it up to not eating for a couple days and drinking very poorly. I was assuming that the complete absence of food and the presence of bile was tinging the urates that green color, in my case.

Do you think your boy could be under eating?

Thanks for the reply, CMV.

It's quite possible he's under-eating. I hope that's all it is.

Will report back if there's a change.
smile.png

cheers
Erica

Does anyone else find it weird that Erica spends a heap of time on this forum but has gone a started her own and totally hypocritically BANS users of her forum from referring to information gathered here?

She calls you a bunch of big Ag evil stoges.
So she asks for your help and then says bad things about you behind your backs.

Seems rather hinky to me.

Go check it out:
www.permachicken.com - rule6 apparently says that if you link to a perfectly reasonable backyardchicken resource supplied by frugal you get banned.

She's also posting under at least three different user names to try and make the place look popular.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom