Green watery poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Britney M, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Britney M

Britney M Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    My 7 month old EE rooster isn't acting himself he has watery green poo, his tail hangs he's still drinking he eats but not a lot I got him to eat plain scrambled eggs today then he payed down for a few know he's laying on his swing crowing started 3 days ago[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Britney M

Jun 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How does his crop feel? Is it emptying completely?
    Was he vaccinated for Marek's?
    How long have you had him?

Check his crop to ensure there is no problem there - smelly sour breath, a crop that is full that doesn't empty by morning, etc. (links on crop health below).

You mention he is laying down? Offering the scrambled eggs was good, make sure he is drinking as well, if you have some poultry vitamins add those to his water.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

4. Britney M

Jun 24, 2016
    His crop was empty this morning
    I'm not sure if he was vaccinated for mareks I bought him at the country store
    I've had him since he was a chick he is 7 months old now
    He seems to be drinking good he picks at the all flock feed but he ate somescrambled eggs
    He doesn't lay down all the time allthough he seems tired

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That hunched up appearance reminds me of Coccidiosis.
    If you have a vet you can have them perform a fecal float test on his poo for confirmation of Cocci or worms.

Treatment for Cocci is Corid, you can find this at your local feed store.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After you finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

The green poop can be an indication that he is not absorbing nutrients from his food. This can be caused by a number of things.

If you decide to treat him, you may want to separate him so you can monitor him more closely and ensure that he is drinking the treated water. The Corid won't hurt him or any of your hens and there is no withdrawal period on eggs, it's a very gentle medication (Coccidiostat ) and is not an antibiotic.

1 person likes this.
  6. adickenscoop

adickenscoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
  7. Britney M

Jun 24, 2016
    Well after a few day he seems better eating treats crowing getting ahold of his girls not sure what his deal was

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear he is better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by