Green wet poop...

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
I’ve got a 9.5mo old chicken that’s been pooping this wet, bright green poop for several days now. She also has a pale comb, low energy, and not eating a ton. I’m not sure if she’s currently laying or not since I’ve a few that have very similar egg color so I can’t be 100% sure. I just dewormed them all about 2 weeks ago for roundworms and this poop started just in this last week. Thoughts?
2E42582C-862B-4FB6-BFD0-1BE1B73229C8.jpeg

I would like to hear what everyone has to say about this. I have a cockerel that has this same type of poop. Just thought it was because he drinks a lot with the weather being so hot.
Someone had told me watermelon can cause poop like this, which they did have this week, but it sure wouldn’t explain the pale comb or low energy so I’m still stumped.

Can you post a picture of her? It would help to know if she is laying. Is the white material slightly yellow-colored or look like egg material? A new layer in her first year should not develop a pale comb, unless there could be a laying disorder, mite infestation, or some kind of intestinal infection, such as coccidiosis, enteritis, or worms. Can you feel inside her vent up to 2 inches for a stuck egg?

Can you get some droppings examined for coccidiosis and worms? If not, I would be tempted to go buy Corid to start in her water (and is safe for the whole flock,) and also treat her with a wormer such as Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste. For now, I would use a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench or get some vitamins with electrolytes in her water. Egg, tuna, salmon, liver are all good to tempt eating, in small amounts along with her feed.

Can you post a picture of her? It would help to know if she is laying. Is the white material slightly yellow-colored or look like egg material? A new layer in her first year should not develop a pale comb, unless there could be a laying disorder, mite infestation, or some kind of intestinal infection, such as coccidiosis, enteritis, or worms. Can you feel inside her vent up to 2 inches for a stuck egg?

Can you get some droppings examined for coccidiosis and worms? If not, I would be tempted to go buy Corid to start in her water (and is safe for the whole flock,) and also treat her with a wormer such as Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste. For now, I would use a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench or get some vitamins with electrolytes in her water. Egg, tuna, salmon, liver are all good to tempt eating, in small amounts along with her feed.
I’ll get a picture when I get home this afternoon. It definitely does not look yellow or like there is any type of egg material in it. I dewormed them all with SafeGuard 2 weeks ago after finding roundworms in someone’s poop. Haven’t seen anymore since I finished the dosing. I have seen her drink water and she is eating some, but her crop definitely hasn’t been full at bedtime the last two nights. But it’s not hard or anything either. She very much prefers scratching in the compost pile. Maybe she ended up eating something that had gotten moldy?

She did come running when I went out this afternoon, just slower than usual. And ate up a bunch of the mealworms I threw out to them. It’s like she’s just moving in slow motion. Got an egg today already that could possibly be from her, but could also be one or two other ones as well. :confused:

F6BC299A-8ECF-40A9-8BC2-2160DC65F4CC.jpeg
DF1201D3-1FC9-49B9-85A3-8922A28DE651.jpeg

Her crop looks pretty full and large in the picture, so how does it feel tonight? It should be empty by morning if it working normally. Can you block off the compost pile? She may have eaten something moldy or rotten. She doesn’t sound like she has botulism, but some birds have gotten it from compost piles. When vegetation or small dead animals get buried under ground or underwater without oxygen, botulism can occur from eating just a tiny speck of the toxin produced in an anaerobic environment. I am positive that is not her problem, but it can happen. I still think she could possibly have coccidiosis or maybe sick from something she ate. I would get some droppings tested by a vet or start Corid. A reproductive disorder such as internal laying might also be her problem. Does she have any swelling in her lower belly between her legs?

I tried to check her out best I could. Her crop was still pretty empty tonight. I did not feel anything that seemed swollen anywhere, but she started pecking at me before I could do a more thorough check. But at least compared to another one her same age, her crop was a lot less full, and between her legs did not feel any more swollen. We do have a door to close off the compost, but we still need to install the latches to keep it closed. I can probably get my husband to do that tomorrow. I'll see if I can get a better picture of her overnight droppings in the morning and take a closer look.

No change so far. She ate some boiled egg and mealworms so far this morning and scratched a bit in the area I had closed up the door to the compost. Drank some water that I had added Nutri-Drench to. But still just low energy. But enough energy she won’t let me catch her! Ugh...

If they were vaccinated against coccidiosis, could she still have it? I could use another bag of feed soon, maybe I will just pick up some Corid at the feed store with more feed.

Chickens can still get coccidiosis, since the vaccine only covers the most serious of the 9 or more strains of coccidia that affect chickens. At her age she should have built up a tolerance to coccidia in the soil, but some older chickens may become sick or have poor immunity where it could be a problem. Worms may also cause digestive problems. If you cannot get a fecal test at a vets, I might consider worming her with Valbazen 1/2 ml, and again in 10 days. SafeGuard horse paste or goat wormer may also be used instead at 1/4 ml per pound for up to 5 days. Corid can be given in the water for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom