Greenburgh, NY chicken laws

AnimalGeek23

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
New York State
Today an official showed up in our yard and told us that we will have to get rid of our 7 b.o pullets AND the chicken coop immediately because someone had reported us.
Prior to buying the chicks that we have raised for 12 weeks, we did research on the ordinances and laws in our area.
The code says:
"A use or building in which the principal activity is the keeping, raising, breeding or boarding of dogs or cats or other animals which may be considered household pets. For the purpose of this chapter, any such activity, excluding boarding, shall not be considered a kennel where accessory to a principal residential use, provided that not more than three animals exceeding six months of age are kept. "
I'd consider a chicken coop to fit into this section.
https://ecode360.com/6818138

Our pullets are currently only about 3 months old; they haven't turned 6 months yet. I had assumed that we were allowed to keep the 4 'extra' ones until they turned 6 months old. Also, the official said we had to get rid of ALL of them. Even if they were older, we'd still be allowed to keep 3, right?
Can someone help me search for a more specific law which tells us that we can't have our 7 pullets? I don't see why not because they're still young and kept in a big confined space. Plus, we're keeping them as pets.
I'm planning to write an email to the local attorney to solve this problem. I'm hoping we can keep them! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Took a look at your codes but I don't see anything addressing poultry or livestock so you'll need to ask the city for what specific ordinances cover livestock.

Chickens are not generally considered household pets.

Update: We emailed the local attorney and he said we had to get rid of them. Chickens aren't allowed :( There's no 'deadline' though, so we're hoping to drag it out. We are looking for good farm animal sanctuaries.

Update: We emailed the local attorney and he said we had to get rid of them. Chickens aren't allowed :( There's no 'deadline' though, so we're hoping to drag it out. We are looking for good farm animal sanctuaries.
Hi- which attorney told you that you had to get rid of all the chickens? I have consulted three attorneys (who are friends) at large law firms who all said they do not see any prohibition in the Town Code to having backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom