1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greenfire Farms Jill Rees Cream Legbar Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by tdhenson86, Jul 27, 2015.

1. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

I have Cream Legbar hatching eggs and chicks available. They are from pure Greenfire Farms Jill Rees Cream Legbar lines. The Cream Legbar chicken lays blue eggs, has a crest on their head, and is autosexing (you can tell males and females apart at hatch). I was able to obtain some of the first ones available as chicks. The parents were hatched in August 2014 and have been laying for a couple months. I already have chicks from them. I am NPIP certified through Michigan. Adults have been selected and culled to ensure the best quality and more consistent egg color.

I cannot guarantee the best price. I can guarantee they come from great quality. These come from the Rees Lines and I've culled out the ones that do not meet the standards I'm looking for. They're not perfect, but after making many culls, they're better than any other Legbars I've raised (I've raised Lines A, B, and C from Greenfire and have decided to only keep the Rees lines after much culling). I started with 28 last August straight from Greenfire. They sent a mix of some that were way too light, some with poor body type, some that laid olive eggs, several issues. So, I have culled all but less than 1/3 of them. Now, I have two small pens of 4 birds each (I have 8 breeding Legbars left). My goal is to improve the breed each generation--working for better and better birds.

Eggs will not be over 5 days old when sent. I have:

PEN 1: A male with better coloration over 3 females with better body type.**
    PEN 2: A male with better body type over 3 females with better color.**

Eggs will come from both pens, but can be marked separately if you would like.

Egg Prices:
    $5 each
    $50 a dozen

Shipping and handling costs $15 for one dozen. $20 for two dozen.

**See the comments below for some of the offspring from these matings.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Still available?

3. tdhenson86

Yes. :D I still have eggs available until the winter freeze. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool! Are they easy to candle? It would be for a classroom project I was called upon to run.

And could I do local pickup?

5. tdhenson86

I've found them to be pretty easy to candle. They're certainly easier than many brown eggs have been for me in the past.

Of course you can do a local pick up! Please feel free to private message me on here or visit my Henson Acres website for my contact information.

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Alright cool. I will let you know. Paw Paw is maybe a 2 1/2-3 hour drive from me. :)

Thanks.

7. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think I will get any right now, I won't be able to keep them(my one hen is blind and is in my chick coop) and you have such nice birds I know, I would want to keep them!

Thanks so much for your time. :)

8. cgbond

cgbond Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2015
    Texas
    Following

9. tdhenson86

Some of my second generation Cream Legbars from these original Rees birds:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]