Greenhorn on hand

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by travisg, Nov 22, 2013.

1. travisg

travisg New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    North East Arkansas
    hey guys im new... to all of this... i had a guy from work give me a chicken that his girlfriend kept as a pet. i dont know anything about them but ive always wanted to learn about em and have em. well thanks to google i came across your site and now all i want to do is learn more. apon further research i learned that i have a black langshan hen. all i know is that shes a gorgeous chicken and that she is the nicest chicken i have ever seen. anyways ive had her 3 or 4 days now with no eggs and shes not eating or drinking anything so i dont really know whats going on with her so maybe i can get a diagnosis here. oh and i would love to know what a great breed is to give me alot of eggs. i want to get into breeding. so thanks!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If she isn't eating, that is a serious problem.

I would worry that not eating for that long, she might be so dehydrated and starved, that she no longer has the strength to eat and drink.

I would first try putting feed in front of her and tapping at the feed to see if she will eat. Same with the water.

If you can't get her to eat that way, I would keep trying with everything you can think of.

If she has any energy left (not totally listless, like maybe she COULD eat if you could just talk her into it) i would try for awhile some of the following:

Sit on the floor next to her and her food and eat next to her,

Tap on her food on occasion

Try different foods, seeds, lettuce, peanut butter, pizza (I know that sounds crazy, but if she was a pet chicken, maybe she has never been fed actual chicken food, and is only used to eating people food, do you know what she used to eat?)

If she looks at all limp try to force feed her a little something.

Do a search on this site for ideas as to how and what to force feed her with.

Good luck!!

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Try some bread or canned cat food, you have to get her to eat and drink.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck to you, you may also try finding her a friend, chickens do better with a buddy or two.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Would it be possible for her previous owner to come by try to get her to eat? She will not last long if she does not eat and drink.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. What are you feeding her?

7. travisg

travisg New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    North East Arkansas
    the lady gave me some of her food and it was basically corn feed in a chick feeding tray today i sprinkled it over the ground instead of just trying to get her to eat it out of the tray and she starting eating the smaller pieces (i guess she doesnt like the bigger ones) so she is eating a little. another thing is i found out that she kept her in her garage so she may not have any rocks in her gizzard (sorry i dont know all the terminology yet). so i threw in some very small to small rocks in with her shed pick em up but drop them again idk if she will get em or not.... and liz9910 im planning on getting 10-20 more and that crossed my mind alot... anyone know where i can get some more chickens in the North East Arkansas area? thanks for all the tips by the way guys!

8. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    you may want to also try mealworm, live (small) worms, insects, or a hot dog cut up in very small pieces. My chickens love the hotdogs cut up.
    crushed eggshells would also be good for her along with fine gravel or ground shells (found in pet stores). good luck.

9. travisg

travisg New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    North East Arkansas
    i just went out there and cut up some hot dogs and she loved those so i know now its just the feed ill go get some tomorrow and improve on her cage, waterer, and feeder... thanks alot guys for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by