Greenhorns here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MNMomma, Feb 19, 2017.

1. MNMomma

MNMomma Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2017
    Northern MN
    Hello! I'm glad I found this site! There looks to be a lot of great information here.
    We are completely new to raising chickens. I mean, no clue! I have just always loved their personalities and now have the means (I hope), to have a few of my own. We live on 2.5 acres in Norrthern MN, so we have the room. This new obsession of mine started when our neighbors offered to give us their old tractor. We're picking that up today.
    I went to our local feed store, bought a book on raising chickens, and now have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Buckeyes reserved for the end of March (all hens).
    My hope is to have them as free ranging as possible. After reading a bit, it sounds like we may use the tractor more for parts, to build a permanent coop. As I understand it, the tractors aren't designated to allow them to come in and out, and can be stressful place for them. Also, we have frigid winters, that will require more protection.
    My fiancé wasn't keen on the idea at first, beacause he knows how much work my bright eyed ideas usually mean for him, but then he was the one to suggest a 4th hen, instead of the 3 I originally ordered.
    I'm eager to get started on our brooder, which will be kept in our basement. I work from home, and they will be in close proximity to my office for the first month. We want the chicks to be handled as much as possible, in hopes they become friendly pets. We have an 11 year old daughter and 8 year old son, who are excited as well.
    Thanks in advance for everyone's knowledge, advice, and support!

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining, I'm sure you'll love it here! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Raising poultry is a great hobby for the whole family, glad you're going to get the chance to find that out!

If you haven't already, check out the Learning Center...it's full of interesting articles that will help you get off on the right foot. You may also like to "meet" other members in Minnesota...you can find your state thread using the link in my signature line (at the bottom of my post).

You've picked some very nice breeds to start with, hope you enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MNMomma [​IMG] Welcome!

How exciting! I do wish you and your soon to arrive feathered family all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MNMomma, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! You've already received some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

1 person likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!

Come and join us on Surviving Minnesota. Most of us don't bite, and those that do have lost most of their teeth and hardly ever break the skin...

Here is the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/1052702

You should get along with Holm be loves his buckeyes, We can never get him to stop yakking about them,..[​IMG]

Again Welcome~!!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Ralphie stop scaring new members. [​IMG] Welcome to Backyard chickens - have you visited the Learning Center above, it's a great place to start a poultry education. FYI I don't bite but I do bark from time to time.

8. MNMomma

MNMomma Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2017
    Northern MN
    Thanks a ton! I don't scare easy and I feel very welcome already! I have been getting loads of good information here, and I'm looking forward to chatting up some fellow Minnesnowtans! We checked out the tractor we were offered yesterday, and it looks like it's going to easily convert to a permanent coop. Yay! Now to get my brooder ready!
    Can't wait to get started on this adventure!

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Good luck on the tractor conversion. We have tough chickens up here, they don't need much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by