1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greenhouse by day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luckied, Sep 2, 2016.

1. luckied

luckied Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all. I have 2 pullets 4 to 5 weeks old. They are very active and I have them out with me most of the day in secured areas of the property. They eat a minimal amount of feed at night while in the brooder.

I would like to know is there any reason at all why I could or should not lock them in my greenhouse for the day?
    I grow with my own composted soil and straw bales. No pesticides or chemicals in it or ever used. There is a very shallow frog/toad pond with rain water in it. There it natural grass and weeds growing in about 40% the rest is dirt (which they love bathing in).

Thanks for any help, I just would hate to not be thinking about something that could be a potential harm to these little girls.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    What temp does your greenhouse reach? I would suggest no, I have a friend that raised some chicks in her greenhouse, and alot of them died, I think because they got too hot, the problem is, they cannot get away from the heat if they do get too hot.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Heat is the only reason I can think of, as stated above.

My main coop is a converted greenhouse. It's those corrugated fiberglass panels. We had to remove quite a bit to give enough airflow and ventilation during the summer, plus have a shade tree growing.

Sounds like a great spot, otherwise.

4. luckied

luckied Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for your responses. I live at a higher altitude and we already our into fall like weather so the greenhouse never gets above 85 now. I did let the girls start playing in there for a bit each day, but honestly now they are big an active and will probably start breaking plants in there. It's amazing how quickly they grow!!
    They are now out in the coop and run and absolutely loving it.

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    They do grow so fast don't they? 85 does not sound too bad though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by