Greenhouse into a coop...what would you change?

Mominator

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Killingworth, CT
I have decided on a location in my yard for my coop (finally!) and the size that would work for our needs, 6' x 8', and I can't make it any bigger or DH will have a stroke, bless his little heart.
ep.gif
I am building this myself with the few carpentry skills that I gleaned from my dad and high school woodshop teacher, if I can remember back that far! Well, I stumbled upon these plans for a beautiful little greenhouse on the internet, and I am in love.
love.gif
To me, it is screaming "fill me with chickens!" With the plans, I am sure that I can build it, but I am concerned about a few things and would like the opinions of the BYC pros.

First, is there a problem with having windows directly over the roost? I thought I read here somewhere that you shouldn't have vents directly over the roost area, but are windows an issue?

Secondly, this building has corrugated translucent fiberglass as a roofing material. Opinions on this as a roofing material...does anyone use it on their coop? I'm not married to this idea...

Here's the link:
http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/6x8gh.asp

What do you think of this little building, and what would you change to make it the perfect chicken paradise?

Sandy

That is a beautiful little shed and would make an excellent coop. I don't like the idea of ventilation directly over the roost in case there are drafts. I have a window right next to my roost, although the roost is attached to a solid wall and the window is just in front of it. I close the window every night even though it has hardware cloth across it for safety. And, I don't know how often this might happen but if a nighttime predator can see directly into the window and see the chickens roosting... I'm wondering if they would try harder to get inside? Just a thought.

I, personally, would not use the corrugated fiberglass for a roof but there are many people who do and seem to like it. I'm concerned about the heat from summer sun which could 'cook' the coop and the loss of heat from it during the winter. It would depend on how hot and cold your seasons are also.

Great shed; should make a very good coop. My coop has a corrugated fiberglass roof, because I already had the material on hand. I built under a huge tree for shade and without the shade, it would be a "broiler" in the summer. Will not build another with a fiberglass roof; may replace this roof next year with a standard shingle roof. However, you probably have cooler summers than we do in TX, so it would not be such an issue for you. How cold are your winter temps at night? That might be a concern for keeping the chickens warm enough.

Good luck with your building project.

hello sandy,
It is a perfect building for a very lucky chicken,one thing I will consider,make sur youhave the roost far fom the windows and I will put one medium size window instade of two.I also will build a smaller dooror he birds to get in and out they seem to like small doors better,elswise wsh you best luck
Omran.

Sandy, it is a charming building and should make a good coop.

I have a "sunshed" in my backyard. One Summer, after the plant starts had all been taken out, I used it for a coop for 35 chicks.

It is 9' by 20' and looks something like this kit sold by Lowes. Besides the size, there are few things different: sunlight enters thru part of the east and west walls and thru more of the south wall, as well.

I wrapped most of these walls with a tarp. It wasn't very attractive but the alternative was to have "cooked" birds.

Yesterday was the 1st day I've closed the sunshed for months. There are a few herbs that have been moved in there and it was a very cool day and windy.

This morning, I forgot to open it . . . the "history" on my digital thermometer may not be very accurate. The thermometer is under the main table and so completely out of the sunlight. Still, if it was anywhere close to 120°F in there - I should apologize to the herbs
hmm.png
. Fortunately, it had clouded up by 1 PM and I finally arrived to open the vents at 2
roll.png

Before I built this sunshed, I had a little lean-to greenhouse against the garage. It had windows on 3 sides, a fiberglass roof and was about 6' by 8'.

The 1st Winter, I had plants inside and installed an electric heater. Below zero weather arrived and ice covered the interior walls. In fact, the door froze shut. Not wanting to damage the door, I just left everything "froze up" and waited for a thaw. I could see the heater running, running, running through the window but the little building was encased in ice.

The problem I see with your greenhouse design - Clear fiberglass would not be my choice for roofing a coop. That's all.

Just some thoughts . . .

Steve

I have a hen house and run with corrugated roofing. I live on the North East side of the mountain, and the coop is under a large tree. In our cooler temperate coastal climate, i wanted them to have as much natural light as possible.

I was concerned after having read that they want a dark coop, and covered my roof with a straw matt..... My chickens hated it and slept under the hen house in the straw....

Next sundown I removed the straw matt and they immediately went in, and onto their regular roosts.... I guess it's just what they were used to.

Ha! The Jamaica Cottage Shop is about 20 minutes down the road from me, and in fact, I own a Jamaica Cottage Shop shed! They do incredible work, but they're not cheap. But if you think you can do it, the plans are a good idea. I was actually glad I didn't go cheap a few months ago when the shed (as well as our house and car) all got hit by lightning, and the shed survived with minimal damage (wish I could say that about the car!). I love going there to "look at the sheds". I put "look at the sheds" in quotes because the owner is a chicken fanatic and has every kind of exotic chicken you can imagine running around out there, so I tell my DH I'd like to take a ride out there to "look at the sheds" which is a total crock but he gets a kick out of it! In fact, this is really costly so I never bothered to post in here, but he does make a chicken coop that you can have shipped to your house, for the low, low price of $2999! (He changes his coop design every so often so it's worth checking back every now and then to see what new thing he has come up with!) Here's the adode link on it:

http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/archive/downloads/2005/8x8coop.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you all so very much for your input, it is truly appreciated by this carpentry-challenged newbie!
big_smile.png
I think that the corrugated roofing is out for me, my suspicions being confirmed here. I will plan on a standard roof to match the house...I'm sure it will keep the chickens cooler, too.

As for the temperatures here in CT, well, the summers do get warm, but not Texas-warm and not for as long a period of time. 90's in parts of July and August, but usually in the 80's. Winter is cold here, with temps regularly below freezing and a lovely wind-chill to deal with. But this is nothing compared to where annmarie lives in VT, and some others around the country.

one thing I will consider,make sur youhave the roost far fom the windows and I will put one medium size window instade of two.I also will build a smaller dooror he birds to get in and out they seem to like small doors better

Sounds good, Omran, thanks! Of course, the windows are going to have to depend on what I find on Craigs List or the salvage yard, now that I think of it. The door will face north, so I will be probably putting in a recycled solid door and putting a pop hole in the south wall into the run area. Too many predators here for free-ranging. The coyotes were howling last night...

So I think that I will go ahead and order the plans...then start my search for building materials! Thanks, everyone!

Sandy​

Ha! The Jamaica Cottage Shop is about 20 minutes down the road from me, and in fact, I own a Jamaica Cottage Shop shed! They do incredible work, but they're not cheap. But if you think you can do it, the plans are a good idea. I was actually glad I didn't go cheap a few months ago when the shed (as well as our house and car) all got hit by lightning, and the shed survived with minimal damage (wish I could say that about the car!). I love going there to "look at the sheds". I put "look at the sheds" in quotes because the owner is a chicken fanatic and has every kind of exotic chicken you can imagine running around out there, so I tell my DH I'd like to take a ride out there to "look at the sheds" which is a total crock but he gets a kick out of it! In fact, this is really costly so I never bothered to post in here, but he does make a chicken coop that you can have shipped to your house, for the low, low price of $2999! (He changes his coop design every so often so it's worth checking back every now and then to see what new thing he has come up with!) Here's the adode link on it:

http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/archive/downloads/2005/8x8coop.pdf

LOL annmarie! I did check out his chicken coop online, but it doesn't meet the needs...it looks all open with no enclosed coop, no? And costly, for sure! No way I can do that, hence ordering the plans...a girl's gotta improvise!!!​

Back
Top Bottom