greenhouse into coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by carolynjl, Jul 21, 2011.

1. carolynjl

carolynjl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    I have a large greenhouse that I planned to use half of it to modify as a coop. Anyone done this or similiar - suggestions?

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    does it get really hot where you live?

3. carolynjl

carolynjl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Well, yes - hadn't thought of that. Today it's 97, heat index 107. Guess I would need to reroof that part???

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:You would have to cut windows and ventilation for sure. You might be able to just cut out pieces and add hardwarecloth?
    Does it get really cold?

5. carolynjl

carolynjl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    I'm just starting to think this out. We're in the foothills of NC - it does get cold - generally in the 30s, but occasionally in the 20s or teens. I have a 6 X 8 storage shed - could that be converted? We just bought a house in the country - not a farm - just 1.2 acres with about half that fenced in. Old house - having to add insulation, replacement windows, a heat pump, etc. - so trying to utilize what I have for a coop.

6. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    I build a frame of a building that I used for greenhouse. I am in Florida so I put the plastic up on the sides in Oct-Nov and take it off in the spring. I am getting a bigger greenhouse soon, so right now I have quail under the building. I am planning on putting hardware cloth on the building and turning is into a mini aviary. If your building is made of glass or plastic that can not be taken down you may be able to put up shade cloth on the roof that will block the light out for the summer and take is off to warm the chicks during the winter. I use a 47% sun block cloth on top of mine during the heat. Hope this helps!

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i would convert the shed rather then the greenhouse.

8. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    Yeah if you have the option of the shed I would go with that over the greenhouse...

9. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:I used a modified greenhouse design for my run :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie's Chickens likes this.
  10. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

We converted our 8x10 aluminum shed, is your shed wood?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by