Greenhouse winter chicken run.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rebelcowboysnb, Dec 4, 2009.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I was looking at a old 53 foot trailer with a translucent roof for $700 the other day. At the time I was thinking storage but later I got to thinking that if you cut the tandems an the landing gear off so it could be put on the ground it would make a good green house. Then it hit my that because some are aluminum you could put a layer of dirt an plant grass an use one as a winter chicken run. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

It was a website in Dalton Ga that had them. I would have to find it again.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice big airy chicken run!!!

Would you have ventilation?

3. rebelcowboysnb

Yea it would need a big fan on a thermostat

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    OOh I would LOVE to have one of those for a greenhouse, where do you find this stuff? I think it would make a great winter coop/run, but the light would not be enough to grow grass. Grass needs direct sunlight. You could grow other stuff that takes low light, but I'm afraid the chickens would decimate it in no time. No matter, throw in some hay and mulch, put some windows in for ventilation, and I bet you would have some happy hens....

5. rebelcowboysnb

I found them on craigslist by doing a search for storage. They flagged the ad.

By googleing "translucent roof storage trailer" an found a few at about $1500.

6. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Storage? Heck you could make a nice guest cottage from that..[​IMG] Perfect for the in-laws..[​IMG]

Definitely need air conditioning in the summer.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Very Nice! Love the way your mind works - great winter digs for chickens!

8. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Quote:Why would some one flag an ad about a storage container. That item is not prohibited on craigslist. I swear the flaggers are just people who are bored with nothing to do but waste peoples time by having to repost stuff.

I would personally use that for storage. Or something like that. But it is also a great idea for a chicken run. I just wouldnt spend that much on a run though

9. rebelcowboysnb

The ones on craigslist were $700.

No matter what I post it gets flagged. People flag for hundreds of different reasons having nothing to do with the rules. If they got rid of the flagging button then craigslist would be a great site but it almost worthless right now. I would rather have to skip over junk then put up with there flagging system.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would love something like that! I wonder why there are trailors with that type of roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by