1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Can an actual pre-consturcted greenhouse be used for a coop? Wondering if it would be too warm since it it really for plants or it would actually be ideal... Harbor Freight has 6x8 for $299 and a 10x12 for $599...
    Kristi

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do a search on that greenhouse from harbor freight. The price is great but those houses need a lot of extra support of they blow over in a wind. GreggsEggs has one and he has photos of the extra work needed. There is also a greenhouse forum with alot of discussion on those in particular.

There are some news articles about chickens and greenhouses but mostly the chickens lived in the greenhouses during the winter months.

Edited to add, I am considering buying one of those but not for chickens. LOL We are doing the research on stabilizing the construction.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  3. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I don't know how the greenhouse is built or what it is constructed of. My greenhouse would definitely be too hot for chickens in the summer, but I've often thought how much they would enjoy it in the wintertime. If the sides raise up, it would probably work.

4. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thank you guys! Where we are moving there is a cinderblock barn where my dogs will be in kennels & there are stalls outside as well, but due to the fact there are VERY few trees, I imagine the heat index in that part of our area will *easily* reach 110* in the worst of the summer, so that's exactly what I needed to know.
    I'm not too worried about the support/extra work issue of it (although I am VERY glad to know it), just wanted to know how it would do for the chickens. Sounds like I just need to buckle down & force my husband to build a nice big one out of plain ol'wood w/a tin roof [​IMG]
    Kristi

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Wood roof with shingles! I promise you will like that better. Tin roof holds heat.

6. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    LOL [​IMG] You've NEVER met my husband have you! But, this house will be forever...or atleast a good 20 yrs (til the kids are out the house) so it *might* be a little easier to get things done 'my'way.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    One caution -- greenhouses heat up real good in the daytime (sometimes a lot a lot more than you want them to, unless you have expensive thermostatically-controlled venting and fans!), BUT they do not hold the heat at night. So you get giant temperature swings. (Greenhouses for growing plants are usuaklly heated at night with propane or etc).

Large, meaning REALLY large, thermal mass in the greenhouse helps reduce temperature swings. A deep gravel-bed floor, cement or gravel-filled cinderblocks everywhere there's room, and/or large black-painted drums of water (sealed) will help. However you still have to be prepared for too hot and too cold.

In fact, if your userID means you live in Texas (e.t.a. - duh, I looked at 'from', yes it does [​IMG]), I would say that a greenhouse would prolly be a baaaad idea, even with fully open ends for ventilation, for most of the year,

OTOH you could use the frame of a prefab greenhouse if you came upon one cheap, and cover it w/mesh or (if ground predators are not a problem) shadecloth, and anchor it really well, and it might make an awfully nice run, that could be partly covered w/translucent fabric for more 'greenhouse effect' during the colder months.

JMO,

Pat

8. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thanks Pat...yes, predators will more than likely be a problem there as it is in the country. I know I did hear owls when I went at night and I can only imagine the other things [​IMG]
    I wouldn't have thought of using a frame for a run though...but I really want to try & free range as much as possible, probably making some of my stalls be 'temp runs' if I need to pen the birds up for some reason.
    Kristi

9. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

For the BEST shade cloth covering of ALL TIME, I have three words for you:

ALUMINET ALUMINET ALUMINET

I bought 70% covering and it dropped temps under the cover by a good 10 degrees in the summer. It acts not only as shade cloth, but as radiant barrier, too. It also allows the wind to pass through, so you don't get a mass of hot air under it (like you do with solid tarps).

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!! LOL!!!

This winter I have used it as a "night-time blanket" for my movable greenhouse (aka chicken-less chicken tractors, covered with greenhouse plastic for the winter), and it has kept the temps in the greenhouse about 10 degrees WARMER than on the nights when I don't use it!

How does it know? I can only imagine that, like a thermos, it is magic! LOL!

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/depts/aluminetshadecloth.html

10. Unitsi

Unitsi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    Hardy Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    I was looking at something along this line to make a coop.
    My question - can the roof remain as is or do chickens need an enclosed area?

Thanks in advance. Whenever I have any questions - I always come here first before jumping into anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by