greenie taking the plunge!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ctfeathers, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    After nearly a year of indecisive wavering, I finally settled on a breed, and this week took the plunge. My newly acquired fluff balls are here, and I can't wait for spring.
    I settled on Wyandottes, and though I requested gold laced, I see what I think are silver mixed in there, and another one that looks nothing like the colors of everyone else - same pattern but different. And I'm also pretty sure that there are some roos in there, although they were supposedly sexed and separated... so I guess we will see. THey are still small, so the waiting game begins.
    About me: I live in north eastern PA, and we have about 7 acres, with nearly 40 next to us, on the other side of a stone wall. We are in the middle of no where, on a mountain, and have a stream bordering us on two sides. Loosely translated, we have a lot of mud, plenty of flash floods, a significant mosquito problem, and bold predators. :)
    We have a horse, a pony (who is in training currently, and in for a big surprise when she returns to her now pony sized stall, recently divided to become a coop in the back) two German Shepherds, and the in house pets - a rabbit and two cats, both of whom are convinced they are actually teenagers (as in human beings, allowed to fuss, whine, and demand attention whenever they want something).
    Excited to have found this thread! I've done a bit of reading already, already learned a bit lol.
    Cameron

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ctfeathers, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I have a couple Wyandottes as well! Great birds! Best of luck to you!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills.

Wyandottes are great! I have one in my very mixed flock right now...

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Beautiful avatar pic! Enjoy the site!

7. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Thanks, everyone! The avatar pic was one I found, and really liked - hope to get some nice ones of mine soon. Any suggestions for learning about the genetics of the colors? I am having a hard time finding reliable info.
    Thanks!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by