1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greenish-black spots on the duck bill?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DHermis, Oct 14, 2008.

1. DHermis

DHermis New Egg

Oct 14, 2008
    One of our Pekins have greenish-black spots on its bill; not sure what it is. Any thoughts on the matter and what I might use to treat. I also have five chickens-2 large and 3 bantams.

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Is this duck a female? If so those are probably normal color changes due to hormones. I have a call duck that gets those.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I would vote that it is a bit of a mutt. My swedish blues and blacks are mixes, and 2 of their siblings are yellow, whitish, and their beaks are getting more blueblackgreen every day... just a little semicircle of orange on the very front now.

4. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Hi, the spots are not anything to worry about. It just happens to be the color of the beak on that particuliar duck. I have noticed it in younger ducks as they develop and change, but I also have mature ducks that have the same markings on their beaks.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I can tell when my pekins and buff girls will start laying after a break. Their bills get "freckles" that are greenish black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by