1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greenish/Brown Diarrhea in my chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BABevill, Apr 5, 2016.

1. BABevill

BABevill New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    I am very new to chicken farming. I had a friend give me 9 chickens because he decided to move and couldn't take his chickens with him. I have no idea how old these chickens are. There was originally 6 New Hampshire Reds, and 3 Black & White speckled(No idea what kind). One the the reds had a superiority complex and would peck the other chickens and crush their eggs so I had to put her down. Shortly there after, another one of the Reds got sick and died mysteriously, no sickness shown before hand. Of the 7 left, I normally get on average 2 eggs per day. And 3 of the birds seem to have a greenish diarrhea. They all seem to be eating and drinking ok. I feed them FRM's Laying Mash along with kitchen scraps, (ie cabbage, lettuce, celery, potato peelings, and stale bread). I also add a small portion of oyster shells to the feeders, and was giving them crushed corn. However they stopped eating the corn once I started giving them the kitchen scraps. As I said before, I'm new to chicken farming, but it seems that 7 chickens should be giving more than 2 eggs per day, and the green slimy poop is abnormal. Otherwise they seem to be doing fine. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!

Do you have photos of the chickens, maybe we can help you identify the breed.
    Some hens will quit laying due to stress of being in a new environment, etc.
    Do they free range - is it possible they are laying their eggs under the bushes (hiding their eggs)?
    The poo may be from the vegetables, can you post a pic of that as well?
    Were all the hens laying eggs before you got them?

Here's a poop chart that may help:
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by