Greenish Eggs from a Buff Orpington Look-Alike?!?

Paddlefoot

Songster
Feb 20, 2020
I’ve got a girl who just started laying and I figured she was giving me the brown eggs of the new layers, but INTRIGUE!

The backstory- this batch was a surprise box from my kid’s kindergarten class. One was black, Lunamera, speculation here put her at a male either black Orpington or a clean-leg marans mix. (She was definitely a she.) She had a deep voice like my barnevelder but was all black. Sadly, we just lost her when she broke out of her run and flew over the 6ft fence into the dog run. Shock got her and it was devastating.

The second, Diana, is a full-blow Easter egger. Pretty girl, no questions. At. All.

Third, is my dear Egg. Egg is adorable and sweet. She’s gentle and buff, so I figured some sort of buff Orpington barnyard cross. Plus, I’ve never heard of an Easter Egger with white legs. Alas, she was just finishing up her lay when I came in this morning and to my surprise she lays lovely green/blue eggs.

These are old pictures of her, but a new one of the “babies’” eggs.

What is she?!

(I’ll get a better pic of her today)

Attachments

• 3EC4E409-01F1-4CD2-9846-1719DBE34ECA.jpeg
    3EC4E409-01F1-4CD2-9846-1719DBE34ECA.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 276986C7-8F62-4F7C-8E03-A4E9A18D3D8E.jpeg
    276986C7-8F62-4F7C-8E03-A4E9A18D3D8E.jpeg
    864.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 85208EA6-FE8E-40DA-8A8F-B43E2420B3ED.jpeg
    85208EA6-FE8E-40DA-8A8F-B43E2420B3ED.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 38
  • C71C714B-9024-47DF-AE64-4FCC6C0E19C7.jpeg
    C71C714B-9024-47DF-AE64-4FCC6C0E19C7.jpeg
    601.1 KB · Views: 35
Well the simple answer is EE. Any chicken who has egg "color" can be called EE. The color could have been passed down from Ameraucana without passing on the leg color or face puffs of any sort. Since Easter Eggers are sellable with out being a more specific about the breed it could be long removed from the Ameraucana. Another possibility is it had a cream crested leg bar parent. They are blue egg layers with yellow legs.

Well the simple answer is EE. Any chicken who has egg "color" can be called EE. The color could have been passed down from Ameraucana without passing on the leg color or face puffs of any sort. Since Easter Eggers are sellable with out being a more specific about the breed it could be long removed from the Ameraucana. Another possibility is it had a cream crested leg bar parent. They are blue egg layers with yellow legs.
I didn’t realize the pale white-ish yellow legs could still be EE’s. Pretty neat

I didn’t realize the pale white-ish yellow legs could still be EE’s. Pretty neat
Yes hatchery EEs still sort of have an expected standard, although a loose standard. You should typically get cheek muffs, possibly a beard, and slate or blue/green legs. However I've got a white rooster with probably dominque heritage, but he is a mutt, and I've hatched eggs from my EEs with him has the sire. All three pullets from him have been solid white with yellow legs, no cheek muffs, and lay a green egg. One could arguably still call them EEs given their egg color.

Yes hatchery EEs still sort of have an expected standard, although a loose standard. You should typically get cheek muffs, possibly a beard, and slate or blue/green legs. However I've got a white rooster with probably dominque heritage, but he is a mutt, and I've hatched eggs from my EEs with him has the sire. All three pullets from him have been solid white with yellow legs, no cheek muffs, and lay a green egg. One could arguably still call them EEs given their egg color.
I learn something new with every chicken we get!

I’ve got a girl who just started laying and I figured she was giving me the brown eggs of the new layers, but INTRIGUE!

The backstory- this batch was a surprise box from my kid’s kindergarten class. One was black, Lunamera, speculation here put her at a male either black Orpington or a clean-leg marans mix. (She was definitely a she.) She had a deep voice like my barnevelder but was all black. Sadly, we just lost her when she broke out of her run and flew over the 6ft fence into the dog run. Shock got her and it was devastating.

The second, Diana, is a full-blow Easter egger. Pretty girl, no questions. At. All.

Third, is my dear Egg. Egg is adorable and sweet. She’s gentle and buff, so I figured some sort of buff Orpington barnyard cross. Plus, I’ve never heard of an Easter Egger with white legs. Alas, she was just finishing up her lay when I came in this morning and to my surprise she lays lovely green/blue eggs.

These are old pictures of her, but a new one of the “babies’” eggs.

What is she?!

(I’ll get a better pic of her today)
Starlight green egger

Back
Top Bottom