1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greenish feathers??? Now I am really confused

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlebirdoz, Jul 3, 2011.

1. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    One of my chickens... a black sexlink is starting to get a pretty greenish tinge to her feathers. I thought sexlink meant that you can tell sex by the color. And I guess I thought that green feathers meant roo??? Ugh I keep getting roos.
    I am so confused.

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

You are right, at hatch you can tell the gender by color or markings in sex-links. The black on many breeds is iridescent in the sun, both males and females. Is it that kind of green? My neighbor has two black sex link hens. As chicks, they were all black. The male chicks of the cross would have had a white dot on their heads, these did not. Now as mature hens, they have pretty iridescent greenish black feathers with some areas of red on their chests.

Could you try posting a few pictures?

3. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    This is her a few weeks ago but you cant see the green. I will try to get a pic in the "sun" today...lol

[​IMG]

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Black chickens can look iridescent green, even the girls. So doesn't necessarily mean a boy! [​IMG]

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a pullet.

6. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Quote:X2

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yup, pullet.
    Male black sex links will be barred pattern.

8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet, I have one that looks just like her.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Most black chickens will shine green/purple in the sun. When folks say that means a roo, they're mostly talking about a bird with a different body color who has shimmery tail feathers. That mean a roo. You have a nice black sex-link pullet.

10. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Thank goodness. I have a very ambiguous barred rock and a definite EE roo. I just couldn't stand another.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by